Re: VZ Navigator and Droid!!
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I'm confused.  I don't think I could make Google maps give me directions over the earpiece if I wanted to. 

I stand by my VZNavigation was never more than 1000 feet accurate but Google maps tells me when I actually have arrived somewhere as opposed to having to just figure it out that last two blocks or so. 

With Layers you can see the Traffic.  I have yet to figure out what conditions Google Maps uses to plan routes.  It isn't the same as the directions so I am somewhat at a loss.  I know I can't seem to configure it except to drive past turn offs they recommend and they adapt. 

I do miss the ability to tell it how I want it to decide my route.  I do have to admit that.  Plan for traffic, take main roads, take back roads, just tell me the fastest possible way I can get there, tell me the shortest possible route, etc.  That was cool.  I wish google Maps Navigation had that because it would be nice to have that capability on a navigator that works. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Google Nav is spot on for me and I haven't had any accuracy issues or had it fail to get me to my destination.  Doesn't necessarily take you on the best route but it's free and still Beta.  You can tell Google Nav to avoid highways/toll roads and have it choose alternate routes.  More routing options would be nice though.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Softa_larry wrote:

I agree.  Google maps left me in a dangerous location this morning. VZ navigator is easier, more accurate, looks at traffic patterns and is SAFER.  It at least directs you to the designated location, not 10 blocks away with no exit. This is a  scary deal killer.

Wow we have had completely different experiences.  VZNavigator used to take me through farms with no tresspassing signs posted violators will be shot on sight and no matter what else I tried that was the only possible route according to it.  Ok well maybe not but it did give preference to dirt roads over paved, and back roads to interstates even if you set it to use only major roads.  Apparently Lizard lick road is a more major route to staying on I-80 than just staying on I-80 or whatever it was thorugh South carolina when we had it set to major roads and it got me off the interstate through a downtown, through several neighborhoods into what appeard to be low income housing into a wooded area and back into town across railroad tracks on Lizard Lick Road I remember the name cause it was so bizare then through another town back to the interstate on the other side of town.  To bypass a section where 2 interstates converge.  It was about 10:30 at night with no traffic and we didn't have use traffic as an option.  it just decided we needed to see Lizard Lick road and all of downtown whatever city it was to get back on the interstate we were travelling on. 

We were visiting a friend south of us and didn't know where she lived.  On the way back it decided this gravel road that went through a farm and finally spilled onto the highway from a driveway from the farm was the best route.  When we decided there was no way we were going to go through that farm at 1:30am and went back it insisted we u-turn right up until we turned onto the highway we needed from a paved connector road a quarter mile further down the road. 

Besides that if you look up tattoo parlor in its local search it takes you to peoples' houses and never does find an actual tattoo parlor.  Look up book store it took me to a house in my own neighborhood.  None of the houses on that road had any type of business run out of them.  There was a book store about a mile away at the mall but it couldn't seem to figure that out only a list of houses that didn't have any kind of store.  My house was built in 1984 and it didn't recognize it as a valid address.  It was in Nashville half a mile from a major shopping area.  I ended up even after all that ending my use of its local search feature when looking for several different businesses including restaurants, and retail shops ended in out of business, boarded up, or long since changed to something else businesses. 

Google is only as up to date as the websites for the local businesses but it is rare that I am taken somewhere that has been closed for more than a month. 

As to safe Google Maps and a Brain is far better than VZRoundabout.  Especially if you don't know where you are going.  If you do know where you are going why do you need navigation.  VZN tells you your destination is on the right so for the next half mile watch the addresses on the right.  VZN tells you take this road so you pray you aren't driving through Bubba's farmland. 

Google nav tells you your destination is on the right you best be turning.  Google nav tells you to turn here there might be a better or faster route through Bubba's farm but it will take you on an actual road. 

IF it is different for some places I am surprised.  Cause the entire Southeast it was cool that I had navigation on my phone but I did a lot of appologizing for weird routes, long delays, and non-existent destinations with VZN. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

google maps is DOPE! there's really nothing more to say....except that i'm SO GLAD i never dropped $200 on garmin or any others.....when i could drop $200 for a phone that has google maps. i never used navigator (because i was very opposed to an outrageous monthly fee for ONE service) so i can't speak to it. maybe it's all right.....but i can't imagine anything being that much better than google maps. i've used it a number of times (and live in the desert with some JACKED up roads and routes) in the month that i've had it and it has yet to fail me.

0 Likes
RoseMadder

I never had any major issues with VZ Navigator, used on an LG Voyager, aside from the price.

Not until I used the Google Navigation on my new Ally, that is.

We've been going to the same inner city bus terminal for a few months now, to pick up

and drop off my daughter.

I've used both Mapquest and VZ Navigator and they provided the same directions and

the last leg of the trip was truly awful - it was confusing as all heck.

Last weekend we tried the Google Navigation and really, I can't say enough good about it.

Not only is the program itself much more user friendly, we found that by simply taking

the next exit we were already on the street the bus station is on ... no more

windy, twisty, easily confused directions.

I love it and have been getting a lot of use from it in the last month.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I will say that I really enjoyed Nav4All and I miss it.  I was getting to where I used it instead of Google Nav but since Nokia did what they did and forced them to shut down Google Nav is the best there is. 

0 Likes