Verizon Wireless and OpenVPN
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've recently switched to VZW Galaxy S5 from Sprint, and so far I'm pretty satisfied with the new service.  I am having problems in one area though.  I have an OpenVPN access server set up on my home network which I connect to using the OpenVPN Connect Android app for access to my home network resources on my phone.  I had no problem at all with it on Sprint, but when I try using it on my new phone it will connect and work fine for a few seconds, then it seems like the mobile data connection resets, the VPN disconnects, my SIP app disconnects, the Steam app disconnects then a few seconds later they all reconnect again.  Then a second or two after that they all disconnect again, reconnect, disconnect, etc.  I can use the VPN connection for the few seconds it's connected but obviously the constant disconnect/reconnect makes it not very useful.  Does VZW interfere with VPN connections?

Re: Verizon Wireless and OpenVPN
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Davel23,

I am so sorry you are having issues with staying connected to your VPN. We do not interfere with VPN's so it is very odd that yours is not working. Did you set up your VPN in your device settings? Go to Settings>More networks>VPN

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've found several people on the OpenVPN forums having a similar problem.  Seems like it's not limited to VZW.  Thanks for the reply anyway.

0 Likes
jsulger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is Verizon going to acknowledge this and provide a resolution. I have setup a VPN on windows and Linux. ppp and l2tp. I have a note 2 personal phone and a casio gzone company phone that works just fine. We have two employees one that has a note3 and one that has a s5 that connect to the vpn (either one on either os) it works for about 10 seconds and then disconnects them.  My wife has a s4 that also disconnects.The phones that disconnect work fine over a wireless network but not on the cellular network. What gives!?!

0 Likes
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure what to think now.  Most of the people reporting a problem over on the OpenVPN forum are indeed using Verizon, but there's at least one who is using a different cell provider and also having the same problem. 

0 Likes
jsulger
Enthusiast - Level 2

I opened a case with Verizon last night. This problem appears to be with the Galaxy S 4 S 5 and the Galaxy Note 3. I would imagine probably the newer Galaxy Tabs also. It doesn't matter what VPN you use or if windows or linux. It actually stays connected on my server 2008 rc2 machine but stops routing information as soon as you try to access anything on the network. Verizon has to know about this. It looks like it is a problem between the translation between ipv4 and ipv6 that the newer devices use. Any comments Verizon?

0 Likes
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

It may be an issue with Android 4.4.  I have found several reports of VPN problems with this version.

jsulger
Enthusiast - Level 2

But Seriously. How many of these types of phones has Verizon sold and none of them will work with any type of VPN (at least that I have found). That is like buying a brand new car and everything works but you cant use the cruise control. You wouldn't tolerate that for a minute on your new car. Very frustrating for us IT guys. And why cant Verizon just come out and say. Yea, we have a problem and we are working on it.

0 Likes
Rohan290

Having the same problem, Galazy note3 with openvpn connect.. it connects just fine but as soon as i start to access any data the disconnect/reconnect starts, Don't remember having this issue prior to upgrading to 4.4.2...

I do notice in my openvpn server log that the ip address of the note3 changes every time it reconnects.. Just to  be sure i opened www.whatmyip.org, start openvpn and checked my ip. Once i access data the disconnect happened, i checked my ip again the confirmed that i had a totally new ip address..

0 Likes
Rohan290
0 Likes