Re: Verizon Wireless and OpenVPN
crackers819903
Enthusiast - Level 2

also, found this on the openvpn forum:

OpenVPN Support Forum • OPenVPN Connect on Android 4.4.2 : OpenVPN Connect (Android)

this guy seems to indicate that disabling TLS fixes the problem...but i haven't been able to figure that out short of turning off all authentication, which obviously i'm not prepared to do.  does anyone know how to just disable TLS on openvpn but still use keys?  is that even possible?

0 Likes
akajep

I have the same problem.  I have tried OpenVPN, Hotspot Shield, Native LT2P/IPSec native client.

VPN works fine on WIFI.

However on 4GLTE, VPN causes the 4GLTE signal to cycle (disconnect and reconnect).  I called the VZW Tech line and a great service rep helped me to submit an escalation ticket: (removed).  Hopefully I get a resolution in 48 hours.

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
akajep

Hotspot Shield sent me this link from TMobile: T-Mobile VPN Fix | T-Mobile Support

It says that IPv6 is breaking VPN connections.

I tried setting APN = IPv4 on my Verizon device, but still having disconnect problems.  Will still wait on VZW technical escalation to get back to me.

0 Likes
ravi1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am facing exact same issue as described in original post. I tried two VPN clients from different vendors and facing same issue.

It happens only with Verizon 4G LTE on Android 4.4 every other combination works fine

(like it works with Verizon LTE + Android 4.2,  Sprint  4G LTE + Android 4.4,  wifi on Verizon device etc.).

After VPN connection Verizon LTE network goes down randomly after few seconds/minutes.

If I don't connect VPN  LTE network remains stable.

I get following logs in adb logcat nothing else which can give any clue why LTE network disconnects after VPN connection.

D/MobileDataStateTracker(  919): default: Received state=DISCONNECTED, old=CONNECTED, reason=lostDataConnection

Can someone from Verizon help in debugging this issue ?  is there any log that can be collected to know exact reason of connection LTE  lost ?

0 Likes
whodatiz

First let me say that I am a very advanced amateur when dealing with networking and general computer configuration, but I cannot hold a candle to some of the others in here.  I just figured I would offer my two cents worth of experience to back the experience of others...

Config:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android 4.4.2

OpenVPN running on a RaspberryPI

Secure Point OpenVPN Windows client

OpenVPN for Android by Arne Schwabe (requires root which I am using, but root only, still OEM otherwise)

Same problem dropping every few seconds when connected either with an openvpn client on my phone itself, or through multiple vendor versions of openvpn clients on windows using the phone as a wifi hotspot.  I have no problem connecting and staying connected on my home wifi, work wifi, and public wifi.

Also...  When I have the Note3 connected to WIFI and then connect using OpenVPN, I have no issues either.  It ONLY occurs when connected to the cellular data.

0 Likes
LorBak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here after 4.4 update.

0 Likes
LorBak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Droid MAXX same problem.

0 Likes
mainr

I just got an OTA update for my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 today - VRUFNK1 version of 4.4.2.  Fixes listed (only 2):

- Fixed VPN connectivity issue

- Fixed the intermittent power cycle issue

It has fixed the VPN disconnect issue for me

See: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/02/minor-updates-roll-out-to-galaxy-s4-and-galaxy-note-3-on-verizo...

0 Likes
BeefJerky
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's great to hear! Now if VZW could release an update for the S5 to fix this issue, that would be great...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh boy! This is quite a pickle we're in. Because the phone has been rooted the only way to get it operable again is to have Samsung flash it for you. They have shops set up in Best Buy if that is an option for you. Keep us posted if you need further assistance.

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes