Re: Verizon Wireless and OpenVPN
jsulger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of course I have not heard anything from Verizon.

0 Likes
decyphex
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having same issue on 4G network only with MotoX Dev edition. Turned 4G off and no issues on 3G and no issues on WiFi. I can usually run speed test on speedtest.net app and make it disconnect every time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

decyphex,

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you are having these kind of troubles with your MotoX. That does seem a little odd that you are running fine with 3G. One thing that I would like for you to try is to power the device off and then remove the sim card from the device for a good 10-15 seconds http://vz.to/1msd4vs. Then place the sim card back into the phone and power it back up like normal and then re-test. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
decyphex
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Kevin,

This had no effect on the issue, as I suspected. So what we are dealing with here is either the 4G network's inability to handle this traffic correctly or we are dealing with an android bug. However, I will tell you that I had this issue with 4.4.2 and just recently updated to 4.4.4 OTA and still experience the same thing.

0 Likes
decyphex
Enthusiast - Level 2

On a second note, I tried the same scenario with a Motorola Droid Mini and the same symptoms were observed. The motoX and droid mini are both stock and un-tampered with.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

decyphex,

Thanks so much for trying those steps on both of your devices. This does seem a little odd. Can you please provide me with the zip code that you are in that is having the trouble with the 4G service? Another thing that I would suggest on trying is to run both of the phones in Safe mode. This will block out any 3rd party applications. These are the steps for the Moto X: http://vz.to/1nbFKUf There here are the steps to place the Droid Mini in Safe Mode: http://vz.to/1fFtjfd Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having this issue in zip code 12563 and surrounding areas.  Silly question, if safe mode blocks out 3rd party applications, how are we supposed to use OpenVPN Connect?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good question Dave123. Running safe mode helps eliminate problematic applications on your device that may be causing issues with certain functionalities and software. I show you should have coverage in this area. Are issues inside or outside?

KinquanaH_VZw
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Davel23
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ugh.  How do we escape from level 1 support hell?

ChadwickTheCrab
Enthusiast - Level 1

Tell me about it @Davel23. I just want to share what I've discovered so far. I'm pretty experienced with home networking but setting up a VPN is pretty new to me.

I have a OpenVPN server running on my home router. I am using a Moto X running Android 4.4.4 (I'm aware that there were some VPN bugs with 4.4.x with expected bugfixes "coming soon"). I also have set up my routing tables to route all traffic through my WAN (Comcast) connection at home.

I can connect to the server over WiFi both locally at my house and at a remote location (hotel). I can transfer files, ping my other machines, run speed tests, etc with NO problem. If I try to connect to this server over Verizon's 4G connection, the connection will fail once I try any sort of data transmission like a speed test on Ookla.

Another discovery through some testing was that if I do split-tunneling, which from what I understand doesn't force all traffic through my home WAN, I can do a file transfer from one of my home machines with no problems (a Windows shared folder).

I think the problem lies either with our phones being assigned a private IP address on the 10.x.x.x subnet and this isn't routed nicely on VZW's end. If it's not that, is it maybe a Android 4.4.x bug? I should reactivate my old Android and try it.