Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for the DROID by Motorola.
Mark_VZW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Users will be able to upgrade their software to version AP: ESE81/BP: C_01.3E.03P to receive new improvements and enhancements.   Approximately 200,000 users will receive the update notification each day. This schedule will continue each day for about a week,  until the update has been delivered to all users.

Key Advantages:

• Email - Free Yahoo Mail is now supported - customers can simply sign in with their Yahoo! Email address and password. Note: Yahoo! Email is not available over Wi-Fi
  • Speech-to-Text - Customers can now use their voice instead of typing whenever a text-entry box appears
  • Google Goggles is now preloaded
  • The new Gallery application uses 3D layout and shows both pictures taken with the customer's Android device and images from Picasa Web Albums account online
  • Pinch to Zoom now available in the Browser, Maps, and Gallery

Download & Install Conditions:

• An OTA download requires 40% or more power availability if the device is not connected to an external power source or 20% or more power if it is connected to an external source
  • If roaming, the customer will not receive the update. The only option in this scenario is for the subscriber to enable Wi-Fi and wait for a mandatory OTA. The wait period in this case will not be more than 12 hours
  • User must wait to receive the upgrade via OTA
  • User is unable to make or receive calls, including emergency calls during this time
  • Users will see the following information when they select

More info on the update screen: This software update includes new enhancements to support Yahoo! Email, pinch-to-zoom, and many other improvements for your DROID by Motorola. You will be unable to use your device or make emergency calls for the duration of the install. The software updates automatically, and your DROID will power off and on as part of this software upgrade. For more information please visit: www.verizonwireless.com/droidsupport.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for the DROID by Motorola.
smoknjo

When can I (we) expect to get our hands on the HTC Incredible?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for the DROID by Motorola.
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's great news! Now if you guys could push out the update for us Eris users really soon you guys still might get a Xmas card from me.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

SoCal64 wrote:

That's great news! Now if you guys could push out the update for us Eris users really soon you guys still might get a Xmas card from me.

Or at the very least, some kind of status report on the Eris update. A small amount of enlightenment can yield a large amount of customer confidence...if you guys are into that kinda thang.
0 Likes
camoelite

I'm assuming that this OTA update is being pushed out tonight?

0 Likes
Laytimator

I can't believe you guys fell for this April Fools joke.

0 Likes
Camdog916

FINALLY YAHOO MAIL SUPPORT and pinch and zoom.  I can't wait.

0 Likes
BigAl8469

My thoughts exactly.  April fools to us Eris owners.  Will this update support hands free blue tooth?  Some how from what I've read elsewhere that it won't and I will be very disappointed and will be trading this phone in on another one or discontinue service with Verizon and switch to another carrier.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Laytimator wrote:

I can't believe you guys fell for this April Fools joke.

Don't think it is a joke. The post came from a admin here on the forums. why would he lie?

0 Likes
Camdog916

I got my phone in January and as soon I got my car after getting it I was told to update to 2.0.1 so I would think that all the droid phones would get 2.1 at the same time.  Why Vz is doing it at 200,000 users at a time doesn't makes sense.

This is a question for the early adopters I believe that 2.0,1 came out in December, so did Vz do the update the same way?  So many at a time or was it released on all the phones at the same time?

0 Likes