Video Chat on Droid X
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I did some looking online and the marketplace and on these boards to see if there is a way to video chat.

What app?

Does the other user need an android phone? PC?

I looked at yahoo messenger and Skype but couldn't see anything that had video chat. Thanks for reading.

0 Likes
Re: Video Chat on Droid X
Wildman
Legend

Since the device does not have a front facing camera that most apps scan to access for this to work, you may not find one that works correctly because the device isnt designed for that purpose and also the 3G network speed may create a bit of a issue using a 8meg camera because the higher resolution the more data required.  Also one other issue would be you seeing the caller and be able to transmit you image at same time, you would have to stand in front of a mirror to possibly make that work.

There was a number of post on this subject when the device first came out and if I remember right it didnt go anywhere...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yeah....video chat is really only designed to work on a device with a front facing camera. i doubt you will find a way to do it and if you found a workaround, it would be very cumbersome.

0 Likes
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the replies. You make perfect sense. Didn't think of the forward facing camera. Just will stick to the PC for my video chatting.

Thanks again

0 Likes
CactusRich

There is an app for Android that works great for Video Chat.  It is called TANGO and is available for free in the Android Market.  I have a Droid X and video chat with my son all the time.  Because we do not have a front facing camera, what I do is hold the phone with the screen facing a mirror on my desk....with the camera facing toward me.....I can then see him and he can see and hear me with no trouble.  With WiFi, the video and audio are great.  Give it a try.  My son uses an Iphone 4 and reports to me that my video and audio on his end is very good.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

CactusRich wrote:

There is an app for Android that works great for Video Chat.  It is called TANGO and is available for free in the Android Market.  I have a Droid X and video chat with my son all the time.  Because we do not have a front facing camera, what I do is hold the phone with the screen facing a mirror on my desk....with the camera facing toward me.....I can then see him and he can see and hear me with no trouble.  With WiFi, the video and audio are great.  Give it a try.  My son uses an Iphone 4 and reports to me that my video and audio on his end is very good.

Thanks for the information, I will have to check this out...  It looks like it may be a nice app and since it has versions for multiple platforms it looks like it is worth a look.

0 Likes
wings9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for information.I'll definitely give it a try!!

0 Likes