Voice dial
Billpb

I just bought the Motorola Droid. I guess I should have done more research. The most basic function of a phone - and these devices are a phone first and everything else is secondary- the Droid cannot do. That is voice dial. What were the designers thinking of? Do they all live in a state that doesn't care if your messing around with a phone while driving? For all of the good things that I have heard about the device, the things that made me want to own one, this glaring, idiotic flaw, makes the Motorola Droid useless. And worst of all, the store sales person, who I asked specifically about how the voice dial works, did not tell me or perhaps didn't even know that the unit can't do it.

I'm astonished! Honestly...**bleep** were they thinking of????

0 Likes
Re: Voice dial
Not applicable

You can voice dial, but you have to unlock the phone and press the voice dial button.  So, you can voice dial, but it's not totally hands free.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well, I take it back.  It seems to work about 1/2 the time.

0 Likes
Billpb

Unfortunately and with extreme frustration, returning the Droid and reactivating the simple cell phone that I have now used for several  years seems to be the only viable solution. The waste of my time and effort is every bit as annoying as the obvious design flaw and lack of knowledge on the part of the Verizon sales person. Now I'm forced to do what I should have done in the first place - Research. My friend's son works for T-Mobile and my son owns an Iphone. That seems like a good place for me to start.

0 Likes
Billpb

That's another weird thing. They call it a voice dial and it's not. Look up the definition of dial. The Droid does a voice search but it does not dial at all.

0 Likes
Not applicable

This seems like such an obvious flaw that they would soon come out with a solution.  Does anyone have any inside information as to if and when this will be resolved?

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

"That's another weird thing. They call it a voice dial and it's not. Look up the definition of dial. The Droid does a voice search but it does not dial at all."

If you press the "voice dialer" button, it WILL voice dial.

0 Likes
BigKahuna

YES, VOICE DIAL IS TOTALLY HANDS FREE DIALING, IT DOESN'T WORK THROUGH BLUETOOTH, VERIZON OR HTC NEEDS TO COME UP WITH AN UPDATE, OTHERWISE YOU'LL GET ALOT OF PEOPLE SWITCHING TO IPHONE

0 Likes
Billpb

basspro wrote:

"That's another weird thing. They call it a voice dial and it's not. Look up the definition of dial. The Droid does a voice search but it does not dial at all."

If you press the "voice dialer" button, it WILL voice dial.

NO, it does not. It voice searches it does not dial. Press voice dial and a little instruction screen comes up and then you say "Call Whoever, and the contact name comes up. Then you have to manually touch the screen again to initiate the call--that is dial the call.

It should be quite a simple function. I don't think I'm missing any steps and if I am then the process is definitely not simple.

0 Likes
Billpb

BigKahuna wrote:

YES, VOICE DIAL IS TOTALLY HANDS FREE DIALING, IT DOESN'T WORK THROUGH BLUETOOTH, VERIZON OR HTC NEEDS TO COME UP WITH AN UPDATE, OTHERWISE YOU'LL GET A LOT OF PEOPLE SWITCHING TO IPHONE

Thank you Bigkahuna, I'm having a difficult time getting some folks, like the customer service folks, to understand the concept of dialing. I actually had to say to one person, "When I use my finger to dial a number on my home phone I don't have to say anything. When I want to use my voice to dial a number on my mobile phone I shouldn't have to touch anything. I think the person got the concept but I cannot be sure.

Verizon may or may not lose me as a customer but I definitely cannot keep this device. I have to return it tomorrow or Friday (big snow storm today) and I'm not looking forward to the hassle.

0 Likes