Re: Voice dial
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2
Billpb wrote:

basspro wrote:

" I am learning that the Verizon and Motorola folks can fix the problem"

No, they cannot. It is a OS problem, which has to be handled by Google. It is on Google's list to fix.

I don't feel that Verizon "sold a problem to me", as I was never told that I could voice dial with bluetooth. As far as I know, the iPhone doesn't have this feature, and look how long it has been out. Give them some time.

Not to belabor the point but the problem is, in fact, Verizon's. They sold me the unit, the unit is flawed (and it is flawed - it will not permit the user to comply with driving laws in numerous states) therefore, they sold me a flawed unit -- that's a problem. The fact that their supplier sold them inqdequate equipment or software is their problem also. The fact that you were not told that you could voice dial with or without Bluetooth is certainly not a very good defense. As I said, this is a basic funtionality and shoud be a minimum expectation. However, in my situation, I was told that the unit would voice dial and I was specifically sold a new Bluetooth unit that would work well with the voice dial function. So even if I wanted to give them a pass on this, I can't.

First of all, I disagree that the lack of Bluetooth voice dialing is a "flaw".  Yes there are currently numerous phones that can do full Buetooth voice dialing, but there are others that cannot (smartphone or otherwise).  Are all of these phones "flawed" as well?  I agree with you that you have a gripe if the sales rep told you the phone would do full BT voice dial and I think you have every right to return the phone based on that.  But do not blame VzW, Motorola or even Google for the sales reps mistake and/or intentional misrepresentation.  Blame the sales rep.  VzW, Motorola and Google are well aware of the BT voice dial issue and I'm sure the are working on it.

The fact that the phone "wil not permit the user to comply with driving laws in numerous states" does not mean that it is flawed.  Actually, at least per my interpretation of New York's and California's laws the Droid fully complies, as long as you either use the speakerphone option or another "hands free" solution.

New York Cell Phone Law 

California Cell Phone Law 

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems pretty clear to me in both of these states, they are simply requiring "hands free talking and listening" and/or prohibiting "holding" the phone while driving.  Neither one says anything about "dialing".  While I agree, it's not a good thing to physically dial a number while you are driving, it's apparently not against the law in these states.  Other states may be different, but I used these two as they are generally the most populous and have some of the stricter laws.

Further, BT voice dialing or even talking on a phone while you are driving, for that matter, is not a "right", it is a "priviledge".  If it is that important to you and the attempted solutions offered previously do not work for you then the Droid is not for you.

0 Likes
Billpb

Hi Dude,

To respond to your points I have noted in bold  Red within the text of your note to me.

PPC_Dude wrote:
First of all, I disagree that the lack of Bluetooth voice dialing is a "flaw".  Yes there are currently numerous phones that can do full Bluetooth voice dialing, but there are others that cannot (smartphone or otherwise).  Are all of these phones "flawed" as well?  Yes indeed, this is a basic, simple function for a mobile phone. More than a convenience it is a safety issue. The point is that the developers of the new units should not weaken the basic functions while developing the latest and greatest functions. It's a phone first. So if the units are incapable of performing that function, they are flawed. I agree with you that you have a gripe if the sales rep told you the phone would do full BT voice dial and I think you have every right to return the phone based on that.  But do not blame VzW, Motorola or even Google for the sales reps mistake and/or intentional misrepresentation.  Blame the sales rep.  Actually, I don't blame anyone. Not Verizon or Google or Motorola and least of all the sales person. I don't think he understood how the unit worked and probably went with his gut in thinking that the simple function that I wanted had to be part of the functionality of this unit. Why wouldn't he, there is a little icon that clearly says Voice Dial. As far as the 'flaw goes', hey that happens in manufacturing and development. The three companies can debate who is responsible for the flaw but for me as the consumer - I don't care whose responsible. I just want it made right. However, I didn't purchase this from Google or Motorola; I purchased it from Verizon. I don't care about assigning fault but it is them, Verizon, that I have to go to to resolve my problem or return my money. VzW, Motorola and Google are well aware of the BT voice dial issue and I'm sure the are working on it. I hope you are correct, perhaps you have some inside info. I'm not so confident of that since I had to explain the concept of Voice Dialing to a couple of people on their Tech staff.

The fact that the phone "will not permit the user to comply with driving laws in numerous states" does not mean that it is flawed.  Actually, at least per my interpretation of New York's and California's laws the Droid fully complies, as long as you either use the speakerphone option or another "hands free" solution.

New York Cell Phone Law 

California Cell Phone Law 

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems pretty clear to me in both of these states, they are simply requiring "hands free talking and listening" and/or prohibiting "holding" the phone while driving.  Neither one says anything about "dialing" (dialing is like texting isn't it?).  While I agree, it's not a good thing to physically dial a number while you are driving, it's apparently not against the law in these states.  Other states may be different, but I used these two as they are generally the most populous and have some of the stricter laws. No, I'm not a lawyer either. I'm a business person but I do understand the intent of the laws without scrutinizing the language. The intent is to keep eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. If I'm fumbling with the Droid to unlock it, press the erroneously labeled Voice Dial icon, name my contact, search the list of possible contacts that is retrieved and then touch the screen for the contact I wish to speak with --- AND --- before I finish all of that I crash into the vehicle in front of me or some other such disaster; I doubt very much that I could make the case that I was complying with the law

Further, BT voice dialing or even talking on a phone while you are driving, for that matter, is not a "right", it is a "privilege". True enough, in fact driving is a privilege and not a right but I don't get your point. If it is that important to you and the attempted solutions offered previously do not work for you then the Droid is not for you. Clearly this is important to me and at this time there is no fix for the problem. Therefore, the Droid, in it's present configuration, is not for me and reluctantly I need to return it and go back to what I was using or upgrade to a more suitable unit. I approached the blog with my comment regarding the unit and my disbelief that what is thought to be state of art missed the basic phone need. People have been very good about recommending solutions and work arounds and I appreciate that.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
That voice dialer HF must be specific to the Moto-droid, as it doesn't even show up in the market on my Eris. I downloaded another one called "choice dialer free", but it just appears to be a carbon copy of the standard Eris voice dialer, so no advantage there. It would be nice if they were able to make the new OS truly BT voice dial capable. I don't HAVE to have it, but I definately used it with my old 'stupidphone', and wouldn't mind having that feature back.
0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

Dangerous_Dave wrote:
That voice dialer HF must be specific to the Moto-droid, as it doesn't even show up in the market on my Eris.

I just googled it and it says it's only compatible with android 2.x models. Hopefully, when the Eris gets the OS upgrade I'll be able to download it. It sounds like a winner.

D Dave

0 Likes