WARNING!!!! EMAIL ATTACHMENTS: DROID CAN NOT SAVE OR FORWARD
moto_droid_acct

Unless i have missed something, the Droid can not save or fwd email attachments, making the phone useless for business purposes.

Is there a way to get this basic function?  else will return the Droid today..

0 Likes
Re: WARNING!!!! EMAIL ATTACHMENTS: DROID CAN NOT SAVE OR FORWARD
GreySeal
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're correct that the Droid won't forward the attachment, but it will save it.  (at least mine did on a test JPG file.)  Then you can email the saved attachment.  Not the best situation, but will work in a pinch until they get this sorted out.

This worked with JPG files.  I haven't tried it with all types of attachments.

0 Likes
pecula00

Yes be careful ... You can save attachments ... You may want to turn the caps lock off and change the title of your thread.

0 Likes
GregoryK

I posted something about this in the business email - AKA not gmail thread.  You can save files onto the temp folder of your SD card.  I have tested this with Word and PDF files.  You then can forward an email message and add attachments to the email.  It is annoying (especially when you have multiple attachments/downloads).  I am hoping for a fix from Google on this.

0 Likes
moto_droid_acct

NOPE not chaning the tile as only jpegs work for saving and fwd..

If i knew of this issue before purchasing it, I would NOT have purchased this phone.. so i bet people who are thinking of buying this phone and actually use email remotely on their phones will likely NOT buy this phone and be pleased to see the thread in CAPs

so unless you have a very good reason why i should not use caps, i would suggest you also help out in warning people...

0 Likes
moto_droid_acct

how did you manage to save non jpeg files? really curios since i could not figure out how to save it in any fashion

i have used a file manager to try to find where the files reside.. does it only stay in the tmp folder while viewing the attachment?

0 Likes
bigmetal

i'm unable to view detached jpgs in the gallery... it will show a thumbnail, but if you try to open it you get a black screen.  lame.

0 Likes
GregoryK

Ahh, I see what you are talking about.  I neglected to mention that I downloaded the DocsToGo app (which I use for viewing and editing any Office files on my phone).  If you preview the files using the Droid's preinstalled QuickOffice, there is no option to save the file.  I preview the files with DocsToGo and by hitting the menu button I have the option of saving the file (or emailing the file directly). 

Note- another error with the email app - When you save a file to your phone, the default folder to save is SD Card/Temp/Attachments.  When you try to attach a file to your forwarded email, (again using DocsToGo) it doesn't allow you to get to the Attachments sub folder.  You can only get to SD Card/Temp.  Therefore, when you save the file to your SD Card, you need to change the location to SD Card/Temp. 

(Also, I paid the $15 for the full DocsToGo version (as you have to pay on your Blackberrys or any other smartphone).  Many times I find myself needing to edit documents while on the road.  I do not know if you can save files with only the 'viewing' DocsToGo app.  I never tried before buying the full version.)

0 Likes
pecula00

Also is this thread about the gmail app or outlook?  I can forward a .doc attachment from gmail.

0 Likes
moto_droid_acct

thanks so there is a work around.. i just need to review files and then be able to fwd those to others..

I have being trying this with a non gmail account.

0 Likes