What is Navigate and how does it differ from Froyo to Gingerbread and honeycomb?
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

Navigate does not seem to appear in Application Management for Froyo, Gingerbread or Honeycomb.

So What is it?   And, Where is it located?

How do I see the Release?

DroidX Froyo has Navigate that updated to include Navigation with Public Transportation option.

The DroidX with Gingerbread does not appear to have that update.  Neither does the Navigate on my Xoom running Honeycomb 3.2

System update on all three show all up to date.

If Navigate is just a module in Maps and Maps is at the same level on all devices, how can I initiate the update?

Thank you for your assistance

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is Navigate and how does it differ from Froyo to Gingerbread and honeycomb?
Wildman
Legend

Ann154 wrote:
You might want to check the Market for an update to the Map application. I just downloaded tonight version 5.9.0. I seem to remember something about transit direction for tablets in the change log plus other things.

Thanks for pointing that out, thats funny I didnt notice but after screen shot the app auto updated me to 5.9.0..

jmccoy70 wrote:

Yeah got 5.9.0 down to HoneyComb.  Looks nce.

Still no Public Transit functionality in Navigate.

Note: Have always had Public Transit in Maps "Directions" just not in Navigate.

I noticed that this option doesn't show until you search for a location and then click directions...  Are you in the direction window?

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/wildman3064132/Upload%20Ptojects/20110816222112.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/wildman3064132/Upload%20Ptojects/20110816221552.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: What is Navigate and how does it differ from Froyo to Gingerbread and honeycomb?
Wildman
Legend

Its part of Google Maps, when you download Maps the Navigation app is also installed.

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2
Yep, I got that.
In menu, manage Applications, I see maps 5.8.0 on my Fry, Gingerbread and Honeycomb devices. Do not see Navigate or Latitude as an application on any one of the three.
I do see all three as Apps in the launcher.
That said, how do I force upgrade of Navigate on Gingerbread and Honeycomb to match the functionality of Navigate as installed on my Fro yo device
?
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Have you just went to Market on device and look ip software name and see if it shows a update, sometimes I have had to fo this, the update was there but the market didnt show it until i searched for it..

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

Yes there are no updates avaialble.

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

, I understand your concern with wanting to be able to access the Navigate app that's on your device with Froyo Os like the devices with Gingerbread and Honeycomb. At this time, this update is not available to download so t hat you receive this update.

Navigate is apart of Google Maps. In the apps list, there is a blue triangle that points upward that launches Navigate. It may have to be downloaded on the tablet from the market.

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

It sort of looks like that but that doesn't explain why Maps has the same Rev level on Froyo gingerbread and Honey comb.  The Good Versionn of Navigate is on Froyo and the Unupdated versions are on Gingerbread and Honeycomb.

Navigate and Latitude are not in the Market as separate entities so they have to be part of Maps.

Navigate and Latitude are not in Manageable Applications of the devices but they have separate Icons on thehome page. That again leads to the fact that they are part of Maps

So how can Maps have the same rev level on all three platforms yet have different functionality on the Froyo device?

Second question How do I see the Rev Level of Navigate and Latitude?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

There is a such thing as cross platform support, are you expecting to have a different build version.   If a developer has the information to developer a version that supports all 3 OS then they normally do this, since Google created the OS and the Google Maps app it shouldn't be surprising that they can do this without issue..

I am confused why the version number is a issue if the app us functioning as designed, where is the issue?

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

Wildman -- My Apologies.  I had no intent to confuse you. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Just trying to understand the problem, the focus on the version number isn't clear... 

Sounds like you are looking for a different version number because it is installed on a different version of OS.   When you install office products made by Microsoft it wouldn't be suspected that it would need a different version build to install it on every different version of the Windows OS.

0 Likes