Why do some apps require WiFi for downloading?
SeaJohn

There are a few apps which after you purchase them, won't let you download them over the cellular network - a message pops up stating that the app is too large: try again when you have a wifi connection.  A couple of examples: Plants vs. Zombies and today's free Amazon app, Drift Mania.

Who sets this policy, and Is there a way to turn this setting off?  I have 4G/unlimited data, so the size of the download doesn't matter as far as data usage or time to download.

0 Likes
Re: Why do some apps require WiFi for downloading?
Wildman
Legend

I believe this is more to minimize corruption of the large files required to download than the bandwidth limit.  Mobile connection are not guaranteed to be a reliable connection where wifi is more stable.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

Thanks for the info; is it the app developer who makes the determination about whether to require wifi?

I've downloaded plenty of bigger apps which don't have this requirement and have downloaded successfully.  A better policy would be to leave it up to the end user, perhaps providing a warning, but still allowing the use of the cellular data net.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i believe it is the developer that requires it. i "think" that some of them do this to ensure a solid download so as not to risk bad reviews that were no fault of the app. for example, if a download doesn't finish or gets corrupted during the slow 3g process, the end user may rate the app low or give it a bad review because it wont open or it constantly crashes, etc.

0 Likes