Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why do some apps require WiFi for downloading?
SeaJohn

There are a few apps which after you purchase them, won't let you download them over the cellular network - a message pops up stating that the app is too large: try again when you have a wifi connection.  A couple of examples: Plants vs. Zombies and today's free Amazon app, Drift Mania.

Who sets this policy, and Is there a way to turn this setting off?  I have 4G/unlimited data, so the size of the download doesn't matter as far as data usage or time to download.

0 Likes
Re: Why do some apps require WiFi for downloading?
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I believe this is more to minimize corruption of the large files required to download than the bandwidth limit.  Mobile connection are not guaranteed to be a reliable connection where wifi is more stable.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

Thanks for the info; is it the app developer who makes the determination about whether to require wifi?

I've downloaded plenty of bigger apps which don't have this requirement and have downloaded successfully.  A better policy would be to leave it up to the end user, perhaps providing a warning, but still allowing the use of the cellular data net.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

i believe it is the developer that requires it. i "think" that some of them do this to ensure a solid download so as not to risk bad reviews that were no fault of the app. for example, if a download doesn't finish or gets corrupted during the slow 3g process, the end user may rate the app low or give it a bad review because it wont open or it constantly crashes, etc.

0 Likes