WiFi required for downloads from Android Market?
rdherman404

Why must I find a WiFi network, enable and use it in order to download an app from the Android Market (now Goolge Play)?  I have 4G LTE coverage, yet the app download icon displays red in my top comm. bar and stays there until I turn WiFi on.  Can't be my data plan...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi required for downloads from Android Market?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well if the settings restricting downloads to Wifi is turned off and you get that message, have you checked your data management or power management settings that Motorola provides on their phones?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

You can still download them.  It's just warning you the files are large, and if you are on a 2GB or such data plan it has a higher chance of pushing you over.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Tidbits, there are apps that require a WiFi connection to get them. I have 3 sitting on my phone waiting to be downloaded when I get a WiFi connection.

This seemed to start late last year.

0 Likes
rdherman404

Exactly.  No matter how small the app size (310k my latest) VZW says Application Size Requires WiFi and will not download.

0 Likes
rdherman404

btw - I have an unlimited data plan...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I have no trouble downloading them. I will provide a screenshot later.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

As you can see it works for me regardless if I am on wifi or 4G.  You get a warning and if you hit OK it'll start the download.

Now this may be dependent on Market version.

Screenshot_2012-03-06-13-58-30.pngScreenshot_2012-03-06-13-58-42.pngScreenshot_2012-03-06-13-59-00[1].png

0 Likes
Not applicable

rdherman404,

Good afternoon! There are a few different restrictions of application downloads in the Android Market/Google Play store. Larger applications will require a Wi-Fi connection to download, certain applications will only give a suggestionto download on Wi-Fi due to the large size. Other apps, of course, will download on a wireless network (such as Verizon's) with no warning. These tend to be <15MB in size. In regards to the application that was 310k in size, I am not sure why that would require Wi-Fi, and I would be curious to know the name of that application.

All of the restrictions are there is not only reduce network strain, but also create awareness to the user of data amount as tiered usage become the industry standard.

I hope that helps!

Thank you!

AdamE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rdherman404

Thanks AdamE -- but it happens on every single app.  Here is a simple one:  Tried downloading Google Translate (3.3Mb).

No go... same orange triangle in top left of message bar on my Droid Bionic - swipe down returns "Google Translate Download size requires Wi-Fi"

Screen shot 2012-03-14 at 5.13.54 PM.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked your settings for the Play Store (formerly Android Market)? Open the application > menu > settings > Update over Wifi only (checked on or off

If on, it will only download application over the Wifi networks.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes