Re: Youtube not playing on Droid?
amz2323

Yes this is happening to me as well.  The majority of the videos on youtube will not play, and I get the same message "Sorry this video cannot be played."  This, along with the multiple lockups of my phone, really takes away from the Eris experience.  Hope these issues get addressed soon.  A "hotfix" would be nice rather than having to wait for the 2.0 update.  I was, until recently, very happy with my Eris.  I'm hoping that happiness will return....

0 Likes
6244joshua

Me Too!!! This sucks! they get you all hyped up about the "iphone killer" and it stops working in two days! i am having problems with my phone beyond the you tube issue. Any one tell me if tis has happened to them: choppy movments with touchscreen after update, slow loading of content between screens? only had mine for a week but the clerk forgot to update so i used for two days before upgrade and you tube worked great!! Now will not play anything off you tube thru app or browswer including dolphin? Very frustrating!!! Any response would br great?

0 Likes
drummerman247

ya, ever since the update my youtube doesnt work..and the phone locks up more/slows down, that it did before..wth...they need to get a fix for this situation ASAP.. I wonder why no one from verizon is commenting on this issue! I dont even know what that
"update" really did

0 Likes
SUZETTE90210

I just "upgraded" to the Droid last week from a Blackberry.  I have also been getting the error message "Sorry this video cannot be played."  I hope these issues get addressed soon.  I am still in my "return" time frame.

0 Likes
Darkoverdroid
I'm working on my 2nd Eris and just like the first one, it too sporadically plays videos using the app. Maybe 1 out if every 10 to 15 tries it will play. It doesn't matter if I'm on WiFi or if I have 1bar with 1x service or full bars on 3g, it's the same no matter what the signal quality is. The reason I had to exchange the first unit was because of a design flaw @ the charging port. When I plugged in the connector or wiggled the port with my finger, the homescreen would freak out and start flipping through screens and launching apps on it's own. (weird huh?) The Verizon rep said **bleep** is wrong with this thing, I laughed and said, that was my question for you. 😕
0 Likes
jkmasi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Happens to me too. More videos seem to play in landscape mode... strrage as that may seem. Definitely something worng with the YouTube app.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
I think it's fair to say there's a problem with the YouTube app. For me it seems it will usually play a vid once, but if I try to replay the same one again it's definitely not happening. I get the same error message as all of you. But if I open the browser and pull it up it will play just fine. Definitely an app issue. Hopefully they're paying attention and will resolve it soon.
0 Likes
Liberty

This is my second Eris.  The list of perceived problems with the first one was so long that Verizon support voluntarily suggested a replacement.  The replacement is not substantially better than the first one. 

My first problem was keyboard roll up on facebook.  That is, clicking in the status box would not roll up the keyboard to allow an entry.  Re-calibrating touch seemed to help for a post or two but not permanently.  The new phone works fine for a comment and most of the time for a post, but seldom for writing on a wall. (What in the world is the difference?)  I try to use facebook in full site mode because the mobile version does not allow live feed.  For some reason this seems to be part of the problem, in that its much better on the mobile screen rather than full site.

The other major problem is web video. The first phone would play almost none.  The second one will play probably half of those on a news site and almost none on you tube.  The error message on you tube is basically just "tough luck" and on news sites it is usually a circle with a line through it, a la a traffic sign.  Where is Quick Time?

The screen sensitivity on both phones is extremely erratic.  Sometimes a slight brush will send things off on a tangent.  Other times intense pressure does nothing.  Its going to be a tough market for older people.

Other things on the laundry list are:  1) The loading progress indicator is unreliable, sometimes not displaying, other times hanging up without completion, 2a) The Browser apparently has no 'Home"  feature.  2b) You can enter a non google home page, but it will eventually revert to google by itself. 3) I can't find a system clip board or cut and paste feature. 4) The screen some times dims until you touch it again.  4)  There appears to be no way to change a contact "Type"  once it is entered in people. 5)  Speaker and sound are dismal. 6)  Oh yes, one time my wife and I were sitting at a restaurant table with my Droid safely locked and in my pocket, when my wife's phone rang and it was me! ??

On the other hand, I am amazed at how reliable and fast it is on the web even with one bar voice signal strength.  It has a mind boggling array of features and uses and a pretty good Android Market. Verizon support is generally patient and pleasant, even though woefully ignorant of Droid problems. And of course probably anything is better than the Apple, AT&T idea.

Verizon needs to get their act together.  If the number of people I know who are waiting for their two year contract to be up is any indication, there is a terrific market out there.  But, a non video playing device is not going to make it.

0 Likes
jaggywire

My Youtube won't play either!  It sux.  I will be going back to the store and see what they tell me in person.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

So does this problem exist on both the Droid Eris and the Moto DROID?  It seems that most users in this thread are Eris owners, but I'd like to hear some more Moto DROID users chime in.

0 Likes