droid and visurses
zaida1

I just got my droid and got a virus through google search. Has anyone had this happening?

It is not fixable and not covered by Motorola! To get a replacement phone I have to pay a deductible. Crazy!

0 Likes
Re: droid and visurses
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

There have been many discussions regarding viruses and the Android OS. I believe many Android developers feel it would be difficult for a virus to infect Android as it is based on Linux. However, I wouldn't say it's impossible.

What makes you think it's a virus? What symptoms is your phone displaying? If it was infected, I don't see why a factory reset wouldn't fix it.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

You shouldn't have rooted your phone.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

As logicman said above, what makes you think it's a virus? And how would you obtain a virus by performing a search?  If you went to a site that loaded malware on your phone somehow, that's not the search engine's fault.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

zaida1 wrote:

I just got my droid and got a virus through google search. Has anyone had this happening?

It is not fixable and not covered by Motorola! To get a replacement phone I have to pay a deductible. Crazy!

i remember there being a post about something similar, unfortunately i dont recall what app, but it was discovered that he, and several other people had downloaded a particular app.  this app ran amuk on their phone and it was not until they removed that their phones began working like normal again.

try deleting all your apps, factory reset, then reinstall one by one (a day in between each reinstall) and note when your phone starts acting up.

it should be worth a try if you dont want to pay the deductable.

0 Likes
axel_2078
Contributor - Level 2

A buggy app isn't the same thing as a virus though.  A virus is malicious; a buggy app is a result of bad programming.

0 Likes
Re: droid and fissures
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

axel_2078 wrote:

A buggy app isn't the same thing as a virus though.  A virus is malicious; a buggy app is a result of bad programming.

True. But bad apps can cause havoc on smartphones:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Android-Devices/PLEASE-HELP-DROID-ERIS/td-p/139925

0 Likes