droid has mind of its own (memory loss)
skyelogan

alright, not sure where best to put this. so i put it in the apps since it seems to be an issue with them.

i'll use the "advanced task killer" app. i kill all the apps except for that app itself. and one other (lookout) not even 5 minutes later i open the task killer app again, and the list is full of apps running. and the memory with less than half available... how can i stop this from happening? i'm not opening the apps but they keep running on their own. the apps are various from e-mail apps to facebook apps to youtube, to game apps.  can anyone help??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: droid has mind of its own (memory loss)
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1

skyelogan wrote:

but then the programs will run and my phones memory gets eatin up as well as the battery.

This isn't Windows, you have to let go of the Windows mindset.

All you're doing is putting your phone into an endless loop of app kills & restarts.

THAT'S what's eating your battery...!

Let the OS do it's job.  Just because you see an app listed in a task killer does NOT means it's actually running or even using any resources.

To be honest, the first app I downloaded when I got my Droid was ATK, based on some erroneous info I got on another board.

Since I ditched it, my battery life improved dramatically.

some good reading:

Why you don't need a task killer app with Android

Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers

View solution in original post

0 Likes
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1

don't use a task klller at all.

0 Likes
skyelogan

but then the programs will run and my phones memory gets eatin up as well as the battery.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

skyelogan wrote:

A linux based system loves things in ram.  It doesn't matter what's in ram.  What is important is the processes.  A lot of application shares the same libraries and look like they are running, but they are not.

0 Likes
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1

skyelogan wrote:

This isn't Windows, you have to let go of the Windows mindset.

All you're doing is putting your phone into an endless loop of app kills & restarts.

THAT'S what's eating your battery...!

Let the OS do it's job.  Just because you see an app listed in a task killer does NOT means it's actually running or even using any resources.

To be honest, the first app I downloaded when I got my Droid was ATK, based on some erroneous info I got on another board.

Since I ditched it, my battery life improved dramatically.

some good reading:

Why you don't need a task killer app with Android

Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers

0 Likes
skyelogan

Thank you for the explination that means alot... as well thank you Tidbits. also explain a bit. but john did explain in further detail thank you both for your help.

0 Likes