eReader has come to the Droid but unfortunately.....
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

a major ebook website has published an application for their ebooks, eReader (PBD format). i know that the market currently has some ebook readers on file but those only cover txt, or public epub and pdf content.

the current offerings from the ebook readers on the market are currently classic books where the copy right has expired (books over 50 to 70 years old) like ethan frome, the art of war, or sherlock holmes.

the books you could read using this software will be more mainstream and more extensive.  so having this new software will mean the current james patterson, ken follett, or current historical books.

the ereader unfortunately is not given out by the market yet and the only way is to go to their website and download it.  and this is the problem because the phone gives a warning about applications downloaded from outside the market.  i contacted the manufacturer to put the app on the market to reach more people so hopefully.

now i know the Droid will never replace my sony prs505 but it would be nice to put a short novel on it to pass the time away before i could get back to my sony for the major novel i am currently reading.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62524

0 Likes
Re: eReader has come to the Droid but unfortunately.....
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the information!

To make it a bit quicker for those interested... point your android browser here: http://www.ereader.com/android

You'll be prompted to install it.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

First this is interesting because they are owned by Barnes and Noble who has an ereader that runs on Android but still has yet to release an Android app.  I wonder if this is somehow a test of market or something.  If so they really should push it a little to get the word out if it really is a test and they should make it use BN books.  Still not bad.

Second is Shortcovers.com has an Android ereader app and their selection and prices are comparable to Kindle and Barnes and Noble a little higher on most of the stuff my wife looked at by about a buck or so.  Still from what I have found so far it is the best selection of current ebooks available on the Android platform.  This Fictionwise app I didn't know about so when I get a chance I will check it out and see what kind of selection they have and prices etc.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

just a quick note:

the webpage that offers the app does say it is a beta version.  fezzik, your right, B&N is coming out with the Nook, their ebook reader. and i think that they know that not everyone is going to run and grab thier device if they already own an ebook reader, like me.

but i will download it, if and when it is avail on the market ( i dont care if they charge for it). like i said, i would put a short novel on my Droid, maybe a michael j fox, prof. randy pausch, or some stephen king shorts.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah it is suprising to me that they haven't cause like I say the ereader runs android so it pretty much has to have an app to read.  It might take some tweaking to make it more of an app and less of an overall system but the underlying reader shouldn't require much.  They already have iphone, windows, blackberry, and mac so linux and android shouldn't be too far behind.  I don't really understand why they haven't released it unless they are waiting till the Nook is officially released to do it.  That will be a huge selection and I am looking forward to that cause they have the books I want like programming books and certification books.  I will probably download shortcovers just so I can get a few books and stuff but I don't do much reading for fun so I may not use it much. 

0 Likes
MrHacks

As long as it doesn't delete any George Orwell or Ray Bradbury, fine by me.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

MrHacks wrote:

As long as it doesn't delete any George Orwell or Ray Bradbury, fine by me.

LOL

0 Likes