Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ereaders
HASH

I'm looking for an ereader for my learning challenged son.   I know that the KNFB Reader works on Nokia but being a Verizon customer I'd like to stay with Verizon phones.  

Do any of the following work on the Motorola Driod (Androids) as a instant reader i.e., shot the text and it reads it back in a matter of seconds?

KNFB Reader works on Nokia N82, N86 & 6220 it does not work on Verizon Nokia 7705 Twist provided by Verizon.

•KNFB

•Blio

•Loquendo

•Kindle

I have researched these and except for KNFB I'm not sure the others perform as instant ereaders.  If you have hands on experience please share.

HASH

0 Likes
Re: ereaders
fezzik
Novice

HASH wrote:

I'm looking for an ereader for my learning challenged son.   I know that the KNFB Reader works on Nokia but being a Verizon customer I'd like to stay with Verizon phones.  

Do any of the following work on the Motorola Driod (Androids) as a instant reader i.e., shot the text and it reads it back in a matter of seconds?

KNFB Reader works on Nokia N82, N86 & 6220 it does not work on Verizon Nokia 7705 Twist provided by Verizon.

•KNFB

•Blio

•Loquendo

•Kindle

I have researched these and except for KNFB I'm not sure the others perform as instant ereaders.  If you have hands on experience please share.

HASH

Kindle app is officially coming soon and again officially they are saying this summer.  Kobo works well on Android phones.  I have been using the shortcovers app downloading books from KOBO, and now that Kobo has its ereader app on Android it works better with better options.   I like Aldiko for reading classics and other public domain works.  Personally if I could import DRM'ed material to my Aldiko app I wouldn't need anything else.  Now looking at what you need.  This will take me a minute to figure out.  You need for him to be able follow along while it reads to him.  I would like the same thing.  I don't know what form of learning challenge your son has.  I will look into some of these and see if I can find something for Android for you, and subsequently me.  I am sure your son's issue is more severe than mine so I don't want to trivialize it by pretending to empathize.  I am thinkful for programs like the ones at some of the community colleges to help me. 

So far the only mobile format for KNFB is for Nokia's it might port to other Linux formats but since we don't have Terminal in Android I would imagine that to be limited currently to Nokia and third party mobile linux based devices that may or may not be out there currently. 

BILO currently only runs on Windows Desktops but information on their FAQ section says

What devices can run Blio?

Blio is designed to run on most desktops, laptops, netbooks and tablets. For 2010, Blio will run on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Symbian, Windows Mobile and iPhone operating systems.

Loquendo seems to just be TTS software and it doesn't seem to be available for mobile devices yet. 

As I said above the Kindle app is coming soon but I don't think it will support reading aloud.  Now Android has built in TTS and in the market is something that extends its capabilities.  I don't know if it will read ebooks to you.  I assume the app developers would have to develop the app with that function in place and since publishers are quite stand-off-ish (to be overly generous) about TTS software on E-Readers for fear that it will eat into their Audio-Books profits (never mind people with learning disabilities who will benifit from listening while reading or people with ADHD which benifit from it as well).  Blind people don't tend to use smartphones but I would imagine that audio-books would be more popular with them because the voice is more natural and easy to follow most of the tts software I have encountered is robotic and rough.  The kindle books that have this feature drive me insane more than helping. 

Bilo said to be out this year is probably the best bet when it is available.  There is an accessibility option in Android but I don't know what it does.  Part of it has to do with TTS type stuff but currently on my phone for some reason I can't select it.  It may be something I turned off because I didn't think about using it.  (I poke around under the hood sometimes never rooting but playing in hidden menus and stuff).  If I have more info on this I will let you know what I find out. 

0 Likes
fezzik
Novice

For what it is worth the Kindle App came out yesterday.  I don't know if I have any books with capability for voice playback but I also don't think the app has the capability.  I think they are finally going to make it part of the iPad app maybe iPhone as well but only if there isn't any blow up and only for the books that have it activated which are few and far between. 

0 Likes
tt1080i
Novice

I like Laputa better than Kindle.

Tons of free books, Your books are displayed on a nice wodden bookshelf.

I have 10 books down loaded, including " My Life" By Bill Clinton.

Good app and content.

0 Likes