rent/buy movies
AZSALUKI
Legend

ok.....i simply want to rent/buy a few flicks to be downloaded to the sd card. can anyone tell me where to go? i'm not interested in torrents, pirated stuff, etc. i also don't want to mess with rippin dvd's, converting files, or anything that will require my usb. is there just a legit app or site that i can go to, pay a couple bucks, and download a flick to my sd card that's already in a format to be viewed on the phone????

0 Likes
Re: rent/buy movies
Wildman
Legend

Boy you are asking a lot.... No, filtering, ripping, converting files, or anything that will require a usb cable and cost a resonable price.   I cant see you find a site that you can download videos at high quality over a cell data connection....   Most videos are 1 Gig in size and this would take forever to transfer.

Most sites like this have you download to PC and then have to be transferred to the device.

Have you tried Hollywood Video, Netflix or even the BlockBuster app on a number of devices?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i haven't tried blockbuster as it has AWFUL ratings. i don't mind the download time as it's really not that bad on LTE or even wifi. i can't even use the official netflix app (i know i can get a tweaked version from outside of the market, but i don't know if you can just rent and download a flick to watch....or if you have to have a subscription?). i just didn't think it would be so difficult to do? there's a ton of places to purchase and download music right to your phone, so why not movies?

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

hulu?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i believe hulu is only streaming content. i don't think (or at least couldn't see how) you can download the content.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

i haven't tried blockbuster as it has AWFUL ratings. i don't mind the download time as it's really not that bad on LTE or even wifi. i can't even use the official netflix app (i know i can get a tweaked version from outside of the market, but i don't know if you can just rent and download a flick to watch....or if you have to have a subscription?). i just didn't think it would be so difficult to do? there's a ton of places to purchase and download music right to your phone, so why not movies?

Hulu is a streaming site only, now as for the difference of downloading music and videos is bandwidth...  There is a number of issues with using LTE or wifi...

1. Limited amount of data on LTE (Not Unlimited)

2. Limited coverage

3. Processing power of a smartphone compared to a pc online will be noticeably different.

4. Don't see connection staying reliable enough to transfer 1 Gig or more of data without having problem of files being corrupt.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend
Well I ended up just using a site that I didn't really want to use. I just had to see. Downloaded a 500mb flick and it took about 20 minutes over LTE. I guess I don't understand enough about it because I still don't see why downloading a file would be so much more than streaming? Streaming is great and all, but I simply wanted a flick on my phone that I can watch on the plane so streaming does me no good. Plus, I don't want any type of subscription. I'd just like to buy a movie and download it. I guess, for now ill just have to buy a dvr, rip it to the pc, and transfer it via the usb because the only other options are file sharing sites, which I'm not interested in.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Have you concidered DVD Catalyst 4 from http://www.tools4movies.com/, it makes it rather simple....  

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2
Many dvd's and blurays come bundled with digital copies that can be transferred to a phone. Yes it needs a computer to be able to do it but there's no ripping or converting. I subscribe to netflix and while it works perfectly on my device I have only viewed a movie once. I personally don't have that much free time to be able to watch a movie on my phone.
0 Likes