terrible battery life
ldpsychic
Anyone else notice how bad the battery is? I barely use my droid x and the battery doesn't even last a day. I turn off apps in settings and that doesn't seem to help. Even got a new battery. Any suggestions on apps that will help turn off things running i may not be aware of or to help no what system apps are safe to turn off? So far i m disappointed with the droid x.
0 Likes
Re: terrible battery life
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Did you purchase the extended battery ?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

here's the deal. you can run all the bells and whistles and just deal with the battery life (which is what i do) or you can change some settings a get a bit more out of your battery. if you use facebook, go into the settings in it and change the refresh time (i have it set to only refresh every hour). weather widget....i set to update every 3 hours or i jst hit update when i use it. i only have my email check to pull every 15 minutes, etc, etc. there are a lot of settings that you can change that will help a little. only turn gps on when you are going to use it for something (i don't do this but it would help). make sure your wifi is off except when you actually want to use wifi. you can get an app killer (advanced task killer is what i use). however, you need to learn how to use these types of apps as they can "kill all apps" and you'll wonder why your alarm clock didn't go off. you can set up an "ignore list." i did this and put things like my calendar, alarm clock, and a few other apps that i need running on my ignore list. every so often i just touch the app killer widget and it kills everything that i want it to. it helps a bit also. other than all of these tips, find an extended battery. i don't have one as i use the htc inc and got it for it's small size and did not want to make it any bigger. also, after a couple weeks, i was not playing with it nearly as much as when i first got it. i now get a full day on one charge (except once in a while when my kids are playing games on it). but i get about 20 hours of "up time" and 3+ hours of "awake" time....which means i can actually use it for 3-4 hours before it dies and it can be on standby for the rest of the day.

0 Likes
ldpsychic
I have already done all the above....this is just a crappy battery for this kind of phone. My iphone is much better then the droid. Tried using task killer and didn't find it to help,almost seem to make it worse
0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

ldpsychic wrote:
I have already done all the above....this is just a crappy battery for this kind of phone. My iphone is much better then the droid. Tried using task killer and didn't find it to help,almost seem to make it worse

I am not talking about the original battery that came with the phone or the same battery type of battery you bought. I am asking if you bought the completely different extended battery? There is one you can purchase additionaly from Verizon. It really does help extend you get more juice out of your phone.

I wouldn't say iPhone is better.That is a joke actually. Read all the complaints and problems that the iPhone has been having for the antenna issie. There have been many complaints I see on yahoo answers too. So far there is no fix for this issue.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

iphone batteries do last longer off a charge. the downside though, is that when they go dead you can't just change them. you have to take them to apple to install a new battery. i actually bought 2 extra batteries on ebay for $12 (came with a wall charger too). i don't do it often but once in a while i will just switch out the battery. i keep one in the phone, one at the office, and one in the car so if i really need to, i can just switch it out. just a thought....and you can find them cheap on ebay. if you are a HEAVY user, you might try it out. only takes about 15 seconds to switch out.

0 Likes
ldpsychic
You assumed i was talking about the new iphone...which i wasn't...my iphone 3gs is much better in all areas then this new droid, which isn't living up to all the hype and advertised services. Actually, i think a huge part of it is verizon in general. Its cdma technology is just not as good as at&t. Not being able to talk and use the web at the same time is very inconvenient if you use your phone for business. Unfortunately my job relocated me to nowhere middle of america and at&t isn't fully here yet with 3g,so i am stuck with verizon. As far as the battery, i shouldn't have to by extra batteries or extended batteries for a new phone. They should have taken battery life into consideration for the use of the phone.
0 Likes
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1
Only just got my MotoDroid in June.
It would drop to 70% overnight after being fully charged & powered off at night. Returned to Verizon, they installed a new battery and I haven't seen it drop below 70% since, even after daily moderate use & the 2.2 OTA Froyo update. And ditch any unnecessary Widgets & definitely, any task killers.
0 Likes
ldpsychic
What is ota froyo stand for and how did you get the 2.2 update? I was told it was coming out in early august now i am being told not till september.
0 Likes
johnM356
Contributor - Level 1
All MotoDroids are due for a v2.2 OTA (over the air) Operating System update by the 18th. Got mine this AM, my son didn't. It's coming... hang in there, it will just download & appear.
Check your current version by going to:
Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates.
0 Likes