uninstalled apps are saved in google account?
JesiGoodman

I've had quite a hasle with the droid and am on my 3rd droid with the 2nd sd card in it.  I did a factory reset on this phone when I put in the new sd card.  It had remembered all the apps I had downloaded to phones 1 and 2 and even those I had uninstalled however, I never actually downloaded ANY apps to this phone (phone 3).  It was synced with my google account before I did the factory reset and these apps never installed themselves.  The Verizon people are trying to tell me all this phone trouble (random restarts and sleep button breaking on phones 1 and 2) is because of corrupt data but, the only thing common to all of the problems are my number, a charger and my contact list. The manager told me it is possible my google contact list is corrupt ... yeah, I don't believe that.

So, on to the point of all this.  I'm being told apps, including those that are uninstalled from the phone, are storred in my google account by people at the Verizon store.  Their over the phone tech support is telling me that it is not linked to my google account.  Anybody know why these uninstalled (actually never installed on the 3rd phone) apps are showing up after a factory reset and how I can permantly uninstall certain apps?

0 Likes
Re: uninstalled apps are saved in google account?
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

when you purchase an app, the confirmation is sent to your google acount.  if you ever have to do a hard reset or get a replacement phone, your purchases are saved courtesy of google.

this way you dont have to repurchase an app you love.

now if you dont want these apps reinstalled to your phone because you believe that they are causing the problem then read this:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Android-Devices/How-to-stop-applications-from-restoring-automatically/m...

but i would suggest not to permanantly delete them from your account.  this is a new phone. new Android 2.0.  it will get better with updates so that possibly the phone will get better to handle the apps that have caused you so much grief.

0 Likes
JesiGoodman

Well, something is causing the phone to malfunction.  I am leaning toward one of the free apps I downloaded (I have yet to download any pay apps).  This is the third phone and have just discovered the same problem as the other 2 ... the sleep button is no longer working.  I understand that it is new and that these things happen but this is 3 phones with the exact same problem.

Thanks for the link.  I will see if it works but I think I am set on returning the phone and being done with Verizon.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

JesiGoodman wrote:

Well, something is causing the phone to malfunction.  I am leaning toward one of the free apps I downloaded (I have yet to download any pay apps).  This is the third phone and have just discovered the same problem as the other 2 ... the sleep button is no longer working.  I understand that it is new and that these things happen but this is 3 phones with the exact same problem.

Thanks for the link.  I will see if it works but I think I am set on returning the phone and being done with Verizon.

what is usually prescribed for your current situation is this:

every couple days, install one of the apps you downloaded. monitor it. if no problems then move on to the next.  if you find the messed up app please notify us all.

thanks

0 Likes
JesiGoodman

Well, the phone is broken ... the sleep button will not work (third Droid this has happened to).  This is even after a hard reboot and no downloaded apps.  I've gone back to the old phone for now and the Droid is being returned.  As for the apps I downloaded they are

Google SkyMap (willing to bet money this is not the problem)

Pandora (also very certain this one is not it)

Advanced Task Killer (free version)

SpareParts

(don't really recall the names of these last two)

Star Wars sounds

Full Metal Jacket sounds

If anyone else is having issues with any of these apps I would like to know

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

i have the first four and have had no problems, the last two i never tried

it maybe that you have been the victim of a bad batch of droids.

can you ask them, if you got them from a Verizon store, to transfer another droid from another store?

0 Likes
JesiGoodman

The first phone was ordered from Verizon online.  The second two phones are from a local Verizon store in Tustin CA.  I'm fairly confident it was one on the apps being as the 3rd phone did not have an issue untill a hard reset and the apps linked to my google account automatically reinstalled.  I'm just amazed at the fact that one of the managers at the Verizon store I went to actually tried to tell me it was my google contact list that could be causing this whole problem ...

0 Likes