4 Bad DROID 4's in Less than 4 months
nineteen85eagle

Hello,

I purchased a new DROID 4 in February and was excited to do so as I greatly enjoyed my original DROID. Unfortunately, within a month of owning my new phone the ear piece began crackling and sounding like an over-driven/blown speaker.

I spoke with Verizon and was sent a "like-new" phone which developed the exact same problem within a week. Again, I spoke with Verizon and they said they could send my "like new" replacement to Motorola leaving me without a phone for 2 weeks or send me another "like new" phone. Obviously I cannot be without a phone so I got another refurb that sure enough developed the exact same problem.

I then became unbelievably busy at work, so I was forced to live with this refurb for weeks while I was completely engaged at the office.  I was constantly asking people I spoke with to repeat themselves as I could not hear them. The earpiece eventually stopped crackling and just became too quiet to use and eventually I was able to call and speak with another person from Verizon.

This person was kind and admitted Motorola had issued a statement for the earpiece problem I had been having. I declined his offer to provide me another device as I was unwilling to give up on my DROID brand, and keyboard.

Yesterday I received my forth DROID 4 and as of now it has died on me 4 times. It goes from 70% charged to dead as a doornail in an instant and then has to be recharged. Now it doesn’t even recharge or turn on. Luckily the mail man hadn't come to pick up DROID4 number three yet so I still have something. I again spoke with someone at Verizon who gave me the same options a “like new” DROID 4 or another “like new” device.  Again, I declined the offer for something else out of a desire for working version of the phone I wanted in the first place.

I have no reason to be optimistic that the next phone I get will be any better than what I have had right along. As a manufacturing engineer who has studied the impact Motorola has with their Six Sigma practices I am confused that I could have received 4 consecutive products that have been defective when there should be 3.4 defects per million devices if the Six Sigma practices Motorola invented are followed.

I do not know which is worse; the fact that I have used an unsatisfactory device for months, that my only option appears to be another unsatisfying device, or the truly miserable reception I get all too often now from the folks at the Warranty Center.

I believe that my situation is unreasonable and the fact that I have been unable to get a working device through the normal channels demonstrates an obvious lack of care. I have sent a similar message to the people at Motorola. I will not continue to have this problem and will run, not walk, away from Verizon if I do not receive attention and a satisfactory resolution.

Respectfully submitted,

Charles D.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4 Bad DROID 4's in Less than 4 months
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning nineteen85eagle. We definitely want you to have a reliable device! We are happy to review your replacement options if you send us an e-mail with your wireless number. Our e-mail address is vzwsupport@verizonwireless.com. You can send the e-mail to my attention.

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport 

0 Likes
jasonlarson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have this exact same problem. I'm on my second droid 4. The phone itself works great! except the ear speaker. IT happened to my first phone, i lived with it for awhile, then the phone completely junked out. Wouldn't turn on, charge or anything. Happened so quickly that It was still under their manufacturing warranty from motorola. I received then new phone and the crackling started about a week or so after using it. now my speaker is so quiet it is impossible to even use in the car. I can not hear anyone what so ever unless it is completely quiet in the room. It is annoying and it is forcing me to use speaker phone more often than I would like to.

Novakingwai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Come on, the phone breaks 4 times in 4 months?  You sure you didn't drop it or change any setting? 

I work in an electronics store, and I have customers come in all the time that say their stuff doesn't work, and when i look at it the screen is cracked or the wires broke and they admit to dropping it.

0 Likes
LHattabaugh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I went through 3 or 4 as well and just kept getting refurbished phones. Never again