4 Bad DROID 4's
shortster90
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also on my fourth Droid 4.
The first one from the Verizon store had a battery that was DOA. I was not able to completely charge the battery, 70 to 80 percent max and the battery would die in less than 3 hours. I brought it back within 72 hours and exchanged it for another brand new Droid 4. This one had a battery that worked properly, everything was working well for about 6 months then during the summer heat the ear speaker started to crackle. At first it was sporadic and gradually degraded to where it sounded like I was listening to someone talking through a kazoo, conversation was impossible through the earpiece, I had to use headphones or the speakerphone. The phone had never been dropped and settings had not been changed, to my knowledge there is not a kazoo setting for the ear speaker.

Verizon replaced this with a factory refurbished Droid 4. Everything was working great until it started to get hot outside. This time the ear speaker failed within a week, leaving me with another kazoo phone. From what I have researched, heat releases the adhesive that holds the speaker diaphragm, this causes the crackling effect. Some people have had success by blowing into the speaker and resetting it into the adhesive, I have had no such luck in doing this and I do not think CPR should be a required skill in order to use a Droid 4.

I am certain that the heat in Georgia is playing a big part with the speaker diaphragm but Motorola should have considered this when they where at the drawing board.  My wife's I Phone sits in the sun all day on the weekends and she has never suffered the misery of an I Kazoo. When I am outside in the heat, I should not have to keep my phone in a refrigerator or have to perform CPR on the device.
  I am now on my fourth Droid 4 and this unit had a slight crackle on the first day of use. While I was reloading my apps the phone started to get hot, which is normal but I received a call while the phone was hot and the crackle was considerably worse. On the next day the crackle was gone, I have no idea how long this will last. Did the diaphragm reseal itself in the adhesive, only time and the summer heat will tell.

I have been loyal to Motorola for over twenty years. The phones that I had in the past were nearly indestructible compared to what they are peddling now. I am now retired from the construction industry, the hardest work that my phone has to do now, is sit on a table by the pool. This new line of work appears to be too hard for a Droid 4. What a shame.
I guess I wouldn't have this problem if I retired in Alaska.  

>>Branched from an earlier discussion<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4 Bad DROID 4's in Less than 4 months
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi shortster90,

Good morning! I understand your concerns regarding the durability of your phone, I am a consumer too and having a durable phone is very important to me also. It is very unlikely for any kind of damage to be fixed overnight by itself. I recommend visiting a store http://bit.ly/3SdsA for a hands on evaluation if you see any damage on your phone going forward.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes