ACTIVATE OUR FM RADIO CHIPS
mefelps
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want my FM Radio! Unlock the FM chip in all smartphones you sell so I can get important emergency information when data networks are unavailable and reduce the amount of data I use each month.

I am forwarding this message to my congressman and the FCC, both of whom I believe support legislation to prohibit carriers like yourself from disabling this feature in smartphones.  FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate thinks it is vital for smartphones to have traditional FM radio capability, because during emergencies, the demand for streaming radio stations for essential information rises to the point of overloading the system.

Please consider re-activating the FM radios in smartphones, Verizon!  Anyone reading this who agrees with my comments, please bump!  And visit freeradioonmyphone.org.

Thank you. #unlockFM #freeradio

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: ACTIVATE OUR FM RADIO CHIPS
Tidbits
Legend

There's other threads about this. There is more to it than you think.

tbo27
Master - Level 2

please keep up posted on congress

0 Likes
6977watts
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sent a complaint to the BBB. I'm going to sent a letter to congress too. This is important for me. I often find myself only with my phone. I like Verizon as a whole and will still be a customer but not this particular issue.

Tidbits
Legend

best of luck

emmjay_1998
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is a cop out by Verizon to not enable the FM chip knowing full well app developers make money off streaming apps as well as Verizon itself.

Not having the FM chip enabled creates also a safety issue as if the whole system goes down (IE Storm damage etc...) I should still be able to get local emergency information via local radio stations.

Verizon, you again need to reconsider enabling the fm chip and I will also be contacting my local representative re this issue as well.