Re: ASUS ZenFone V - Mobile Network Drops Off
DLEASSM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I (and my wife with same phone) have the same issue with our phones, which we have had for less than a month.  The problem has been there from the beginning.  Most of the time it results when the signal is weak and I then go to where the signal is better - the phone loses connectivity and I have to restart.  There also seems to be a connection with losing wifi signal.  For example, being in a heavy walled building with weak or no signal but having wifi - I walk outside and lose wifi but never gain the cell signal back.

Yesterday the phone showed several bars, and I was never in a weak signal area, but it would not make a call.  I had to restart the phone to be able to make a call.

Needless to say, this is extremely annoying.  On top of having to restart the phone on a regular basis, I never know if I actually have signal unless I try to make a call - I therefore don't know if I have missed incoming calls.  Yesterday was a good example of that - it showed bars, meaning I had signal, but in reality the phone was not connected to the network.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DLEASSM, having reliable service when you need it the most is extremely important and I want to make sure that we can determine what is causing the signal loss issue. Can you provide me with the make and model of your device? What is the zip code that you are experiencing this issue in? How far from your home area are you able to see better signal(if any)?

Kevin_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CHRPHI44

DLEASSM has described the problem perfectly for me. When I leave my house going from wifi-calling to tower I'll lose both my data and get an "x" for network connection most of the time, forcing me to remember to reboot or miss calls. Also like him a road I take regularly (Old Spanish trail in 85641) that doesn't have 4g throughout, and the phone radio will drop and not come back without a reboot. I should mention my old phone (Droid turbo) and my wife's phone (pixel 2) do not have this issue.

Hope this helps, I like the phone but this is becoming burdensome.

0 Likes
DLEASSM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Asus Zenfone V, just got it a couple of weeks ago at Verizon.  Zip 37830.

If taken into my basement it loses cell signal (but not wifi) and when back upstairs it will not pick up cell signal unless restarted.

At work I often enter a building with very heavy walls (thick concrete, lots of rebar).  Cell signal is lost upon entry.  Sometimes I can get on the building's wifi.  When I walk outside the phone does not reestablish connection with the cell signal unless I restart the phone.

In a nearby office building I can normally keep cell signal, though it can be weak.  I can get on the building wifi.  When I walk outside I lose all cell signal even though I had signal inside the building and there is actually a signal available, which is found by restarting the phone.

Today I was watching my phone as I walked out of the office building.  Before walking outside the cell signal was present but not strong.  As soon as I stepped outside the phone picked up a couple of bars, so the signal was clearly stronger outside.  A couple more steps and wifi disconnected, and cell signal was lost at the very same instant.  A phone restart got the cell signal back.

So apparently there are two contributing components.  The phone cannot find the signal once lost unless it is restarted.  And losing wifi signal also cause loss of cell signal connection.

I don't think the wifi part is consistent.  It appears to be very consistent where I am working, but I don't think it happens at home.  I have not observed loss of cell signal when my house wifi disconnects (when I drive away).  I will pay closer attention to that.  I will also check to see if I lose cell signal when exiting the office building if I don't have wifi on.

I am really getting frustrated with this situation and I am regretting the phone (and network that won't work with it - supposedly Verizon tests phones on their network but it appears testing was not done on this one, or if it was it was only done in areas with high cell signal).

0 Likes
DLEASSM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will also add my old phone (Galaxy S3, yes it was old) did not have this problem.

Another thing to throw in the mess - where I am working there are cell repeaters in the buildings, but they are old and do not have LTE.  That means I cannot get cell signal in many areas of the buildings since the Zenfone V does not do the older CDMA.

0 Likes
DLEASSM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I turned off wifi before leaving the heavy wall building, and the phone did not connect to the cell signal available outdoors until after I restarted the phone.

I then entered the office building, and never lost signal while inside, although it was weak at times.

I walked outdoors and the signal increased and the phone maintained signal.  So the wifi being on plays a role.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It’s true, CHRPHI44, that different phones get different signal strengths. This can be for a number of reasons. Have you tried placing your phone in safe mode https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-214590/ while traveling Old Spanish Trail? Enabling safe mode will help rule out user-installed apps. Please let us know what happens.   

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DLEASSM, I can understand your frustrations regarding your device and not having a reliable signal. With regard to the device I do want to make sure you are all set. Let's try a couple of steps to see if we can get it to work as needed. Please try resetting your network settings and test your service afterwards. Here are the steps to complete: 

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Apps icon Apps icon > Settings Settings icon > Backup & reset.
  2. Tap Network settings reset.
  3. Tap Reset Settings.
    Note If prompted, enter the PIN, password or pattern.
  4. To confirm, tap Reset Settings.

Once you have done this let us know what your results are after testing. 

JasperM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CHRPHI44

Hey George,

I went ahead and left my phone is safe mode the last day and a half. I dropped from the tower 3 out of 3 times on Old Spanish Trail (Old nish Trail and Escalante to be precise) in zip code 85641. 2 of the 3 times my phone did not recover a cell signal until i rebooted. I've also left my house 7 times in the last 2 days in safe mode, and switching from wifi calling to cellular left me without cell signal 3 out of 7 times until i rebooted.

I did a factory default reset on my phone around the beginning of the month also, with drops until restart persisting before and after the factory reset.

Thanks... this is frustrating.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHRPHI44,

I appreicate all the troubleshooting that you've done on your own. I can only imagine how frustrating loosing service is, so I want to do all that I can to help make sure we figure this out. With doing a factory data reset (wiping the phone), that is normally the very last step in troubleshooting. I've looked into the Zip Code of 85641 & it does show as a marginal coverage area. In areas such as this you may have an inconsistent network experience which can include dropped calls, latency and frequent disconnects due to factors outside of our control. Find out more here: https://vz.to/2unwhtw.

I have read that your other phones are not experiencing this issue in this area. As one of my peers mentioned, different phones do receive different signal strenghts. We apologize for any inconvenience with this matter as we are always looking to enhance our services in the future. 

I would like to look into a different avenue of resolution. To do this, I have sent you a Private Message to gather much needed information to proceed. Please meet me in a Private Message to continue. Thanks!

AliciaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes