Re: ASUS ZenFone V - Mobile Network Drops Off
crabhammer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm experiencing this same issue.  It's been described many times over in this thread, but to save some questions:

-I'm using an ASUS ZenFone V

-4G signal drops unexpectedly and does not return until I reboot the phone

-It appears to happen when exiting the range of a WiFi connection, but I can't be sure

-Toggling mobile data, airplane mode, or both does not fix the issue

-Phone is in "emergency calls only" mode until reboot, regardless of WiFi connection

-Zip code 30329, but signal strength is obviously not the problem based on other posts and the strong signal I get after rebooting

-Removing and re-seating the SIM card did not fix the issue

I've had to reboot twice today already because of this.  I'd strongly suggest taking this phone off the market until a patch is released, to avoid further damaging your customers' trust.  The specs are excellent for the price, though, so I really hope this can be fixed.  I'm not even a new customer - I'm paying retail price for this phone because of its processor.

In the meantime, though, this is obviously unacceptable.  What's my recourse?

crabhammer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I forgot to mention the software version.  I'm pretty sure it's the latest, VZW_V3.4.2_20180410

0 Likes
crabhammer
Enthusiast - Level 3

After figuring out how to unlock developer options, I did some more testing.  The following do not fix the issue:

-turning on "Mobile data always active"

-turning on "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Mobile handover"

-turning both of those on simultaneously

I'm also gaining confidence in the idea that the problem occurs when switching Wi-Fi networks.  It's happened consistently when going my home to work Wi-Fi networks, or vice versa.  I paid closer attention this time, and it seemed like the problem happened after connecting to the new network, rather than when leaving the old network.

The next workaround I'll try is turning off Wi-Fi when traveling, although this will be inconvenient.  Even if it works, I'll still expect a prompt software patch to fix this, or some other compensation for these defective devices.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mkolber, I want to make sure you have a working device. I thank you for all the details you have provided us and all the troubleshooting steps you have completed.

We would like to look into other alternatives for you regarding this issue. Please contact us on Facebook (

http://www.facebook.com/verizon) or Twitter so that we may access your account and look into other options for you.

PeterM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

crabhammer, having a device that is not functioning correctly is always concerning. I ensure you we will find a resolution for your device losing connection. You have done a great job with your troubleshooting steps. What you should do is a factory data reset. Before you reset your phone you will want to back it up. We recommend using Verizon Cloud. Here is how to use Verizon Cloud: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-use-verizon-cloud/#uploadmedia Once the phone is fully backed up here are the steps to master reset your phone: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-214637/ Keep us informed if the master reset resolved the connection issue.

SantoC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
crabhammer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a factory reset fixes things, which follows with the other posts in this thread.

But I think I've found a workaround!  If you turn off Wi-Fi before leaving the range of a Wi-Fi network you're connected to, it seems to prevent the 4G dropoff.  This is inconvenient, but at least it's faster and safer than rebooting.

Friends are saying that texts to me are failing to deliver.  I'm not sure if it's connected to this problem.  Has anybody else noticed this?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

crabhammer, we appreciate the work around suggestion to fix the 4G drop off. Alternative solutions to these tech problems are always welcomed. Regarding your text fail delivery issue, please use our troubleshooting guides online: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/troubleshooting-tool/.

Gilberto_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
crabhammer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Happy to be of service.  So, how is Verizon going to make this right?  You've sold me a Verizon-exclusive phone, and it sure looks like every phone across the entire model has the same defect that causes it to regularly become unable to act as a telephone.  In fact, just this morning, I forgot to turn Wi-Fi off before leaving home, missed a text from my supervisor, and so missed a meeting at work.

I'd be happy with the deal you give to new customers for buying this phone - $10 off the monthly bill.  Or you could switch out my ZenFone V for a Galaxy S9, or really any phone with a similar or better processor that doesn't drop service.  Or, after well over a decade (I think 16 years?) of loyalty, I could start looking out for cost-effective ways to switch providers, and also file complaints with the BBB and whoever else will listen.

mkolber
Enthusiast - Level 3

The answer to "how is Verizon going to make this right?" is "wait and see."

Bottom line, some of the Verizon reps here know what is going on; others not so much.

In the last response to my posts, I was asked to discuss this with Verizon in a Facebook chat session. That was about a week ago and here is the result. I'm skipping some of the really bad twists and sticking to the bottom line of what happened and what I was told.

Verizon sent me a new phone (well, actually, a certified refurb). On day two (today) the same thing occurred. No surprise there. I went back into the chat session and, initially got the same know-noting responses we've had here. Try a reset and a whole bunch of things which have been tried and retried by all of us without success. Finally, I specifically asked to escalate it to someone who actually knew what he was talking about.

According to Joe (I have no way of verifying, so I'm just relating) , Verizon is aware of the problem and does not know how may phones it affects - not all ZenFone V users are reporting it (which I already knew). Verizon is speaking with Asus about it, trying to track down the reason (I told him my suspicion was a date of manufacture defect). Joe said not to bother with resets, replacement of phone or sim card. Verizon knows they haven't worked.

Not quite satisfactory, but Verizon acknowledging there is in fact a problem is a major step.

KRIKLI68

I bought my Zenfone V yesterday, and this problem happened to me today.  I had to reboot before I could call or get my texts to send.  Very concerning.

0 Likes