Re: Activating Nexus 7 (2013) 4G LTE Tablet
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

And in the meantime, getting the SIM card activated by using another tablet (a store demo model works) at a corporate store works as a useful workaround.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RedBullet

So, if I buy the 32G Nexus 7 (unlocked GSM) and resize and move the SIM from my already activated Xoom should I be good to go?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes if it's already activated. However the problem should be fixed already. The fix is supposed to have happened with the KitKat update.

0 Likes
RedBullet

two questions...

1. The kitkat update already went out to nexus 7?
  2. with the kitkat update can one activate with VZW (using a new microSIM)?

I am asking the second question since my preference would be to go to VZW and have them swap my Xoom SIM for a microSIM so that I don't have to resize.

0 Likes
bucky89

I picked up a Verizon Ellipsis 7 on Black Friday for free w/2-year contract (plus $26 for tax).  Took out the micro-SIM, put it in my Nexus 7 just received from Google.  It immediately started working on the Verizon 4G LTE network with no problems. Now I have a spare legacy wi-fi-only tablet to give to the kids to play with, which only cost me $26.

In comparing the tablets, I must say the Nexus 7 just blows away the Ellipsis.  Nexus screen is much clearer and performance far superior.  I received KitKat 4.4 for the Nexus 7 and it's working great so far.

I can't imagine why Verizon doesn't want Nexus 7 on their network for other than that they have a surplus of Ellipsis tablets that they are trying to dump on their customers.  Maybe when all those tablets are gone will they start allowing Nexus 7 on their network.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It has nothing to do with Verizon not wanting it on their network. Google messed up the code and 4.4 update should have fixed the code to activate the Sim cards.

0 Likes
unforgiven512

This is absolutely ridiculous (Verizon, that is).

I went to the corporate store down the street to have a SIM activated for my Nexus 7.

The CSR, we'll say, "Joe", helped me activate the SIM. I told him right up front that it's an unlocked LTE-only device, and that the IMEI wouldn't be in Verizon's system, and that he'd have to use the IMEI of a demo unit to activate the SIM, which I could then put into my tablet.

He had no problem doing this. I walked out of the store with an activated SIM in my Nexus 7, working well on the $30/2GB plan.

"Joe" told me I should have no issues setting up the OLAM stuff (My Verizon), and that I'd be able to view usage, pay, etc.

Anyhow, whenever I tried setting it up, it threw a generic error. Called into customer service, they couldn't help.

Anyhow, I went back to the corporate store today, put my SIM in the demo unit, and set up the online account access. I was able to view my usage, and see billing options. Once that was complete, I put my SIM back in my Nexus 7, and went home.

Once home, I went to log back in on my conputer, to check out options for adding additional data, plans, etc.

I'm met with an error, once again.

What on earth does the IMEI of the device I'm using have to do with the ability for me to view current usage, or pay for services? This is incredibly frustrating, and inexplicably confusing as to why the IMEI not being in Verizon's system would have absolutely anything to do with being able to log in.

I'd like to see some resolution, or at least a work around to be able to view my usage or pay for services.

0 Likes
Ilikemath
Enthusiast - Level 2

Couple things u can try.  Activate an official supported device then create your account and then switch the sim.  Then it might let you log in.  If u want to just know what your data usage a simple and very accurate way would just to go into setting on your device and go to data usage and set it up from when ever your start of the bill cycle is.  That is measured from your tablets hardware and not verizon but they should both be essentially the same.

0 Likes
NexusMan21
Contributor - Level 2

The IMEI is how your equipment is uniquely identified on the network. If your IMEI is not in Verizon's system, its not an approved device - which is why I assume you are getting that error.

Good luck getting your account setup. Hopefully they officially support this tablet soon.

0 Likes
RedBullet

Actually it does. I showed up at my verizon store, and they couldn't activate a new SIM card in the device because their backend systems wouldn't accept the device serial number.

I did confirm that my SIM card from my phone works in the Nexus 7 (running 4.4.2 now). So it can work.

It's just that Verizon won't allow it...

0 Likes