Active display not working on Droid Maxx2. How can I get it to work?
JoeyWolfDee

Just activated a new droid Maxx 2, and I can't get the Moto Active Display to function properly. I followed the instructions (had it working fine on the Moto X I switched from) and looking at the screens that describe how it works on the phone itself tells me there might be something wrong with my phone, as the notifications either don't display at all or display maybe twice then stop. On the Moto X they repeat continuously.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Active display not working on Droid Maxx2. How can I get it to work?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JoeyWolfDee, we want you to be absolutely thrilled with your device and all the functions it has to offer. Are you able to get past the initial set up of the feature? When you say that it tells you there might be something wrong with the phone, is there an error or is this because of the behavior? Looking forward to hearing back.

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JoeyWolfDee

I'm beginning to think this phone is defective now. In addition to the problem in my OP, I realized that recently I'm not getting voice-mail notifications of any kind when someone leaves a voice mail. No sound notification, no icon in the notification tray above. I get a missed-call notification in the notification tray above, but nothing shows that there is a missed voice mail.

AND BACK TO MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM: I rely in the Active Display feature to notify me silently of missed calls, texts, voice mails and selected other events. On my Moto X, which I gave up in favor of this Droid Maxx 2, this feature worked flawlessly. What I mean is, I would see small icons fading in and out on the black lock screen every few seconds. I could swipe up, down or sideways to deal with these icons/notifications.

One of the reasons I bought the Maxx 2 is that in the user guide it says this option is available Not only that, on the phone itself, when I go to Moto/Display and select "Wake screen when notifications arrive/On Moto Display," at the bottom of that screen there's an option to "Learn how Moto Display works". To make sure nothing had changed, I've gone through all the screens that describe how it's supposed to work and see that it should be doing exactly as I described. But it doesn't.

No notifications display at all (other than the icons at the top of the screen: that's not what I'm talking about) and this is a deal breaker for me if this can't be fixed on my phone. Also, now, the no-voicemail notification of any kind, Active Display or otherwise, is a serious problem as well.

I realize I've had this phone beyond the 14 day trial, or however long it is, but if the phone is defective I need to have a replacement that works, meaning all those feature work.

Thanks.

0 Likes
JoeyWolfDee

UPDATE 4/10: The phone stopped delivering notifications of any kind, including the sounds I had selected for three gmail accounts and also the text service.

In desperation, I have done a factory reset and am now reinstalling and reconfiguring the phone, hoping to get at least those notifications/sounds working again.

If this fails I'll need to see how to get a replacement - or an alternate - for what is a defective phone.

0 Likes
JoeyWolfDee

Please see my follow-up messages.

The factory reset has made no difference in the behavior, although I did get one notification of a gmail.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

No doubt we want your device working as it should and as you want it. We can complete troubleshooting to make sure the settings are correct. The first thing I would like to check is Screen Notifications. Go to apps - settings - display - screen notifications - select ambient display. Let's also check apps - settings - sound & notification - when device is locked - select show all notification content. Please keep us posted.

DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JoeyWolfDee

Maybe you didn't read my second post in this thread, the reply to ChrisM, where I clearly explain which settings I have on the phone, and that it's the Moto Active Display I need, not the ambient display. However, in my efforts to get anything working at all, I've discovered that the ambient display doesn't work either, beyond one or two pulses. It then goes dark and there's no indication of a call, text or voicemail waiting.

I've searched in other forums as well and I have pretty much concluded that this phone is not capable of doing what it's advertised to do, in this regard. The advertised feature does not work.

I will continue to look into this, and I would appreciate any serious, real solution you might find, but please don't resort to tier-one suggestions such as checking the settings. I know what I'm doing, and I know that so far there is nothing that will get this advertised feature working on this phone. At this point, it looks as if the only thing that will fix it is a software update or patch. If that is imminent, I would appreciate knowing it: knowing that software engineers are working on fixing this problem.

0 Likes
JoeyWolfDee

At this point I have given up on this phone. I'm reverting to a Moto X because I know it will do what I need it to do. Despite the Maxx 2 itself saying that it will provide pulsing notifications, it DOES NOT DO THAT. I feel you have falsely advertised this phone.

I'll keep checking to see if you correct this problem. If not, I'll have to look into a return and refund.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I thought Motorola switched some of the functions that was in the Moto Display to use the Google Ambient Display settings since they were similar to Motorola’s take on things. With Motorola’s philosophy of using as close to stock Android with only enhancements added, it makes sense if the function is slightly different from the earlier Moto X models.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JoeyWolfDee

Yes, Ann, I have come to the conclusion after my own extensive research that the Active Display will not work.

HOWEVER, that does not change the fact that the manual indicates the Moto Active Display is still a feature, and IN FACT, as I've pointed out, the phone itself clearly, very clearly states that the  Active Display will do what I need it to do.

That also doesn't explain why the Ambient Display does not continue to show after two or three instances. That does not make sense, as you imply it does. It goes blank and is essentially useless if you have missed those two or three pulses. The function is different, yes: but even it doesn't work

I maintain that I was misled by the phone's manual, and after receiving the phone, I've been misled by the phone itself, since it tells me the Active Display will work.

If I had know it does not work, I would not have bought this phone. False advertising.

And I don't like arguing about this.

0 Likes