Ally & Email not sending
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having problems with sending email from my POP3 account.  For some reason my replies or new messages just get stuck in my outbox.  When I hit "send messages" from the outbox, I get a popup that says "connection error."  I can't figure out what is wrong.  My settings are directly from my email provider and when I set up my email it didn't indicate that there was any issue with outgoing mail.  Has anyone had this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ally & Email not sending
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Hopefully you already solved this, since it's been three days. But I had this problem too, with two different types of accounts. It took a couple hours in a VZW store and a patient, knowledgeable employee. In the end, he ended up installing the free K-9 Mail app, and once he set up the accounts through that, they worked.

0 Likes
cocomarie

I still have this issue!!!!!! any one figure it out yet?!!?

0 Likes
Harley_Chick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I figured it out.  In your outgoing mail settings on your phone, check the "require sign-in" box.  I know, I know - it doesn't really seem logical ("I don't want to have to sign in every time I send an email"), but you don't have to sign-in; it doesn't really change anything in the way you send email.  But for some reason, it works.  I have not had any issues with sending email ever since I made that one change. 

Good luck!

0 Likes
myk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi there,

Make sure all your settings are properly set. You need to click the "Requires SMTP authentication" and use the correct port, otherwise you will not be able to send emails.

Note: IMAP and POP3 are INCOMMING servers, and these settings will not affect the ability to SEND emails.

-Myk

LG Ally, HP Mini 110-1046NR, LG Fathom, enV Touch

0 Likes
BurntWiser

The tips above did not work for me. Though I could send emails from my POP3 company email account when I first got my phone last fall and set it up, I soon no longer could send out emails. Both the company's IT department and VZW Tech Support were unable to help me. (I didn't go to the extremes of completely resetting the phone or getting a replacement phone, as several other posters said these hadn't fixed the problem, either.) Reconfiguring the outgoing settings using different ports or with security or sign-in required, deleting and re-adding the email account to the phone, removing the battery to clear the cache, and sending email via Wi-Fi instead of 3G -- none of these ideas helped me whatsoever. I still kept getting a yellow bar showing "connection error" when trying to send an email, with it getting stuck in the outbox. The update to Android 2.2 didn't help me eliminate the problem, either.

By extensive searching through other forums, I came across the idea of using a Gmail server to send my email from this account. I opened a new Gmail account specifically for this, and configured the Gmail settings so that outgoing emails show by default as coming from my company email address for the phone account that was not able to send. (Search Gmail's Settings Help pages for "custom 'From' address".) This way in most email programs and unless someone goes to the trouble of viewing the detailed header information for the message, my company email address, not Gmail, will show as the sending address, so any replies will go to my company email. Then in the outgoing settings on my phone for my company email account that couldn't send, I just entered the information for the new Gmail account in place of the company server settings that didn't work.

Now I can send company emails using my Verizon Wireless LG Ally, and can reply to emails on my phone without my company email account first having to forward all of them to another email address, and then having recipients see the non-company email server and address that I've used to reply to them. And whereas my company's POP3 email did not use security or a sign-in when sending mail from my phone, Gmail does use a secure https server connection and a sign-in to send emails.

I don't know what Android's problem is with some POP3 email accounts, but it seems to be pretty widespread in both sending and receiving emails, judging by lots of forum posts going back nearly two years, with no reliable solutions and no correction of the issues causing it. So in the meantime, this is a workaround that works for me, without having to add a third-party email application to my phone.     

0 Likes