Android encryption password minimum requirements
tmenkene

Our office wil be buying a number of android smartphones soon and we will be encrypting them.

I want to reach out to our users ahead of time and have them come up with a password that they won't mind typing frequently.  I haven't been able to find out what the requirements are for an Android encryption password (not PIN)

I'm seeing varying requirements.  one device seems to require 8 character passwords, I've seen another require 6.  I checked my own phone and it seems to only require a 4 character password.

am I correct in assuming that the minimum password length is set by whoever creates the ROM?

if so, what does Verizon set theirs to and where can I find that information documented?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Android encryption password minimum requirements
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

What you are looking at is Lock screen requirements and not encryption standards. If I remember correctly for encryption on an android you need to install an encryption software or Encryption application and then you can set your password standard to whatever you would like.

0 Likes
Re: Android encryption password minimum requirements
tmenkene

No, I am talking about the built in encryption in android.  While, yes, if you decide to encrypt, Android links the lock screen password to the encryption if it meets the requirements.  there is no third party app required for device encryption.

This article refers to a 6 character minimum:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-encrypt-android-device,news-17774.html

but like I said, I just tried to encrypt my personal phone and it seemed to be happy with a 4 character password.

so are the minimum requirements set by Android, or by Verizon, and where can I find them?

0 Likes