Re: Android upgrades?
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

rcschnoor wrote:

Google is the company which releases updates for Android and has stopped support for Android 5. Google Play is the app store on all android phones. Google Play Services is a Google app on your phone which updates the Google apps on your device.

does that mean that the apps will update to still use the non supported android 5 ?

the opposite of what happens on a computer when say vista was unsupported and then adobe and java and FF and Chrome etc would not work with vista?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have devices running Android 4.0.4 and 4.1.1 and they are still getting some application updates and the Google Play Services is being updated. How much longer will Google continue to update the Play Services, I don't know.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Ann what about the cell phone part on your android 4 devices will the phone still work if google play services stop updating your apps?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes the phone part will still work. Application updates don't affect the phone functions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks  Ann

so too summarize Android 5 will not upgrade to 6 or 7 at some point in the future like now android 5 will no longer be supported but it will still work as a cell phone but all your data ,contacts, pictures etc will not be on a updated secure device.

Do I have it correct now?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would highly recommend you visit an android dedicated site and learn how to really use the Android OS.

No you don't have it correct particularly with the last part of your summary.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Here is some info on updates to the android 8 OS

Android 8.0 update: when will you get it?

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-8-0-update-784308/

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

There is a app from the play store that says it will give your phone the look of marshmallow. Don't know if that is actually what you were looking for but it would be the next best thing since I don't think Verizon is going to update your phone to android 6(marshmallow)

For the devices that you simply cannot upgrade to Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 Google has released official Google Now Launcher that will transform your ordinary looking old version into the latest android 6.0 UI.

Google Now Launcher - Android Apps on Google Play

vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

kathy thanks I saw that already and that is not what i was thinking.

I was thinking that android 5 will go the way of a dinosaur like vista and xp have for windows if the os system does not update.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just because it is obsolete, doesn't mean that it won't work.

0 Likes