Re: Android upgrades?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Smartphones can be filtered by OS. Right now, there are two to choose from....Android and iOS.

If/when HP decides to introduce it's Verizon Wireless version of the X3 Elite smartphone, then Windows 10 Mobile will return for a short stay.

The rule of thumb is 2 years of OS upgrades for Android and Windows Mobile devices. Somewhat longer cycles for iOS.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry I meant version not OS.

Android 5,6, 7 etc

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand the importance of keeping your device up to date, vanigo. Although we cannot determine when a future software update will become available for the next Android version, you can stay in the loop with available updates here. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/?intcmp=vzwdom

Are you experiencing any issues with the latest security update to your phone?

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

dexman wrote:

It all depends upon the manufacturer. Given that the most current Android OS is in the 7 range, chances are strong that any device still in the 5 range will be staying right where it is.

I'd have to agree with that. If you aren't already on 6, your phone isn't likely to get 7 or 8.

The ability to filter on Android version might be beneficial, but in the end, I'm not sure how much.

It's unfortunately up to the consumer to research suggested or recommended phones in the Android landscape. Consider when it's been introduced, and if it's already received an OS update or security patches. To some, a phone is a phone and they hold little to no brand loyalty. A notable exception is in the Apple/iOS vs. Android decision. Once one becomes familiar with their Android vs. iOS devices, I think they tend to stick to that decision.

Then there are people like me who prefer Android that have early familiarity with one particular manufacturer, and if their prior history with devices from that company have not provided them any significant problems over the years, tend to stick with that manufacturer. So when upgrading, their choice is much simpler.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

So it has been determined that my OS will not be upgraded. How long before android 5.1.1 will stop getting security updates if at all?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google has already discontinued security support for Android 5.1. The Google Play Services will still be updated through the Play Store for some time to come.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Ann154 wrote:

Google has already discontinued security support for Android 5.1. The Google Play Services will still be updated through the Play Store for some time to come.

I have 5.1.1?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Same thing. Android 5.0+ is Lollipop and Google support has ended.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

What does google play services have to do with android 5 not being supported?

Remember I haven't a clue about what google play services is or does.

Ann154 wrote:

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

vanigo wrote:

What does google play services have to do with android 5 not being supported?

Remember I haven't a clue about what google play services is or does.

Ann154 wrote:

Google is the company which releases updates for Android and has stopped support for Android 5. Google Play is the app store on all android phones. Google Play Services is a Google app on your phone which updates the Google apps on your device.

0 Likes