Any Verizon Android Phones with Global Capability On the Horizon?
RobertS975

Seems like there are many advantages to the Android OS, but I have sworn that my next phone will be global capable. So when will an Android phone with GSM capability hit the Verizon network?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Any Verizon Android Phones with Global Capability On the Horizon?
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

RobertS975 wrote:

Seems like there are many advantages to the Android OS, but I have sworn that my next phone will be global capable. So when will an Android phone with GSM capability hit the Verizon network?

Never. Verizon runs strictly on CDMA network. A GSM phone would never be compatible for Verizon.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Verizon does have GSM-capable phones -- like the BB Tour and even my old Z6c -- but GSM can only be used while out of the country. I'm sure an Android global phone isn't far off, but it'll be limited in the same way if it's a Verizon phone. That's enough for me though, knowing I can use it wherever I am.

P.S. There is a Global page on Verizon's site, which I found helpful.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

SydneyK wrote:

Verizon does have GSM-capable phones -- like the BB Tour and even my old Z6c -- but GSM can only be used while out of the country. I'm sure an Android global phone isn't far off, but it'll be limited in the same way if it's a Verizon phone. That's enough for me though, knowing I can use it wherever I am.

P.S. There is a Global page on Verizon's site, which I found helpful.

And I thought the person was talking about an AT&T phone or T-mobile like phone.

0 Likes
blackdognorth

There's the HTC Touch Pro2 as well, which will also run GSM while abraod.

But no Android.

I thought about this a lot too.

But keep in mind that you will pay international roaming rates using your GSM capable phone overseas on a Verizon plan.  And it is not cheap!  Varies from around $3 to over $5 per minute depending on country.  And that's just VOICE!  Data puts you in another ballpark as the data frequencies are going to vary more than GSM voice frequencies.  This is why you see groups of businessmen huddled around wifi spots in Europe.

Verizon will let you unlock if you have an account in good standing, then you can buy a new independent SIM card here or abroad and drop that in your TP2 or BB Tour.  Again, voice only.  And you won't have your old stateside phone number anymore, obviously.  But cheaper than Verizon's roaming plans.

Alternately, Verizon will supposedly loan you a GSM phone for overseas calling.  Just would stink to not have access to your smartphone right when you need it, and all it's connectivity, the most!

If you are a high-powered business person and the cost of phone and plans is not an issue, you could use a Tour or TP2 for international travel and just pay the multiple hundreds-of-dollars bill.  Or go to an iPhone or the new HTC Desire on AT&T.

0 Likes
gljerik

Don't forget about the HTC Imagio.  It can work on CDMA and GSM networks.

0 Likes
tigerdog
Enthusiast - Level 2

One step forward, two steps back.  Funny how people are back to asking this question.  For a while, there were some pretty 3G CDMA+GSM phones in Verizon's portfolio.  Now, with 4G LTE replacing 3G Android phones, we're back to asking the same question we asked in 2010 - when will we get a state-of-the-art Android phone with GSM roaming capability? 

Frustrating.