Re: Any other users have terrible battery life since the 4.4.2 update?
yMidnite
Enthusiast - Level 2

A lot of us have this issue. It is not limited to Samsung. I have the LGG2 and used to not have to charge my battery during the day (take it off the charger at 4 AM and put it back on the charger at 10 PM with around 40% on the battery) ... now 4 - 5 hours into my day I am charging.

0 Likes
darkstarz

The last time this happened to me, with this same phone, and because of an update like this, I had to do a factory update in order to get things back to "normal" again.

This time I'm trying not to, but I don't know that I'll succeed. I have gone through every setting and every app's setting that I have installed and turned on. Especially those that are turned on at start up, and turned off all those I don't know about, which is most of them really. So we will see what happens with this round of app play.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Battery life and an OS update? What you are noticing here is the following.

Normally after an update (and based on human nature) you will have a shortened battery life as you are constantly exploring to see if something is working or what has changed etc... the extra use = used battery time.

The second and more important thing you will notice is, new android OS updates (I am talking about an actual OS change here like from JB to KK) will cause the new OS to go into Optimization mode so it can optimize all of the items on your phone to better work with the OS. It optimized photos, data, documents, music and apps. The amount of time it takes to optimize is strictly based on how much stuff you have on the device as well as the device manufacturers and how they tweaked the optimization methods. Then the OS try's to optimize how the apps work on the device.

The Optimization can take anywhere from a few hours to 2 weeks depending on how much stuff you have on your device.

droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

Wow you're good at making junk up...

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Not made up at all. It has been this way since ICS

droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

can you provide any links to any documentation that actually shows that Android does active optimization over weeks of time after the initial upgrade?

dlnorris1

I have 2 Droid RAZR HD devices and both of them have horrible battery life since the 4.4.2 update.  They are spending very little time in 4G, so I suspect that the drain is at least partially related to the device trying to stay connected to the network.  One of the two devices is hot all of the time two.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
joeboot
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yesterday my Droid DNA went from the using 3 - 5% battery per hour under normal usage conditions to using about 15% per hour with little to no usage.  I updated last week but haven't had issues until yesterday. I don't seem to have a Wakelock issue but my power is draining out with seemiingly no reason.  I've experienced similar battery issues (usually with Wakelocks) and a restart usually resolves it.  No so this time.  Anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I will go back and find them but Motorola forums as well as Googles built site both explain this part about optimization

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I cannot post the link here. You can also find it in the Google Android Developers guides

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.qu...

During an Android operating system upgrade, we are faced with the message 'Optimizing app 56 of 122'. What does 'optimizing' mean, exactly?

All through the installation process you would see the messages "Optimizing app 1 of 272 (random numbers based on what you have on your system)"

0 Likes