Re: Any other users have terrible battery life since the 4.4.2 update?
droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

This is DURING an update..  Not for weeks after as you falsely suggested.

0 Likes
powell7777
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here!

Yeah, problems here too!

Battery is draining extremely fast.

Text Messages not being sent out or received.

Freezing when texting.

Extra data is being used when not wanting to

Isis Wallet was installed onto my phone with the update, which was not wanted/needed!

Went to story they restarted the phone said they couldn't fix it.

Called Tech Support, they told me the only solution was to do a master reset! NO WAY!

My phone was working completely fine until this update. I told them that was not a good solution to fix this issue, as my mother had a Droid and is having the same issues. WHY?

Dad's phone which is a LG shuts off completely with a full charge.

Not a happy camper. I pay enough money each month for my phone. I want a solution to my issue without having to lose everything on my phone.

0 Likes
powell7777
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not just Samsung phones, my mother has a Droid and it's doing the same thing.

Tech told me that I had to do a master rest, I refuse. They did this, now they are going to fix it!

My phone isn't eveni a year old. There is no reason for the batter life to be doing this.

0 Likes
powell7777
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think it's the update, I think they did something to the network. I have a samsung which I did do the update and the battery is draining very fast...My mother has a Droid, didn't do the update and her battery is doing the same thing. I called the tech for help and they are telling me to do a master reset. Which in my opinion is crap because it's not just my phone. Many other friends/family members are having issues with their phones since this weekend. I told tech that it was a poor solution for the fix. They need to send another update out and fix the issue pronto.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Think what you would like. That is stated from experience as well as documentation. The first part which is showing App 1 of XXX is during the update as is the pictures and data.

Ongoing for some time the OS will learn which apps you use, how you use them, when to turn off certain apps, when to leave them open in the background etc.... The OS is a learning OS that optimizes to your use and that has been well documented since the first Android has come out.  By default it tries to turn everything on (at least what someone thinks you want turned on) and then it learns what and when to turn things off based on your actions.  This is one reason Task Killers do more bad then good. Because the OS sees that you close the app and the app wants to stay started so the OS assumes that since you are turning it off that you are using it and have finished using it. If you leave it alone it will turn itself off automatically and not turn itself back on because the OS has learned this from your actions. The below explains how Androids use processes and why task killers interfere with the running of processes and can hurt the phones performance. It is right along the same lines as the Optimizations. Call it optimizations, self learning, auto shut off etc... it takes time for the phone to get to a point where it will start shutting things off and that will depend on your usage as well as the number of apps you use etc.....

http://www.howtogeek.com/127388/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-use-a-task-killer-on-android/

http://www.howtogeek.com/166140/you-dont-need-to-install-a-task-manager-how-to-manage-running-apps-o...

Android Guide: Should I Use a Task Killer

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

You do not need to do a Factory reset on most things and it is one tool the Verizon tech will use to get you off the phone.  Any time someone recommends an FDR you should always do a cache wipe first as it will usually cur 95% of the issues out there and you will lose no data or settings.

New procedure under Kitkat:

1. 1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .
  2. 2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
  3. 3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to SELECT

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.
  4. 4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark).
  5. 5. Press and hold the VOL UP key, then press and release the POWER key.
  6. 6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE).
  7. 7. Use the VOL DOWN key to scroll to wipe cache partition (bottom entry) and then press the POWER key to SELECT this option.

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe, AUTOMATICALLY REBOOT, and start the normal power up sequence.

Boricuaff

@nurbles this is not normal!!!  When I called about it they told me that it must've had something to do with the update.  But on the same note they had NO current cure so right now we're screwed!  I got this phone because of the battery life.  the battery lasted almost 50 hours at one point.  Since the update I'm lucky I can get 5 hours out of it and it gets hot.  Keep on them!

0 Likes
Boricuaff

Jakeman1, what does this procedure do? I'm not getting the same window that you are getting

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

How much have you played with your phone since the update? How much exploring have you done? Did you bother to disable any of the new apps they put on the phone that are battery hogs? Did you go back and disable the apps you had disabled prior to the update? I installed the update on both of my Razr HD's and my Razr Maxx HD which I was getting 2-3 days of battery on the Razr HD's and almost 5 days on the Maxx. After the update I was getting barely 1 day on the Razr HD and 2.5 days on the Maxx.  Today some 5 days later I am getting 2.5 days on the HD and 4 days on the Maxx.  I disabled these apps right after the update itself.

You can continue to call Verizon and at best they are going to tell you one of 2 things. Do a Factory Data Reset, or it I s a manufacturers issue and to call the manufacturer for a resolution.  Depending on the manufacturer they will either tell you this same thing I have posted here, or they will tell you there is an issue with their particular build and they are working on an update to correct. Don't do the FDR. It is possible that some manufacturers during their tweak did impose some bugs and they would be working on fixing them.

Either way Verizon will do NOTHING about it by posting anything here as this is a peer to peer forum where other users try to help with issues they have experienced and what resolved them.  I have been part of the Google test team as well as in Soak Tests and this same issue came up when ICS was introduced, as well as when JellyBean was introduced and now with KitKat, and each time the Google Developers stated the same as I have stated above.

You don't notice this when you first get the phone as you have nothing as a baseline and it slowly gets better over time. Then when an OS update is introduced, it slows down again temporarily and you notice the difference.

0 Likes
droidrazrmaxxhd
Contributor - Level 1

Don't bother as it won't fix your problems that the update caused

0 Likes