Re: Anyone with a Droid losing their 3G signal randomly?
ltolman
Contributor - Level 1

WOW; well I just read 4 pages of this thread; phew thank goodness it wasnt longer.

So for those just coming into this thread let me try and paraphrase:

1-Various phones affected

2-Various states affected

3-Various timeframes affected

4-Inconsistency on applications installed affected

5-Inconsistency on knowing whether its Verizon or our phones

(theres the short version)

So lets talk about me. Droid Incredible here: 2.2 android version and I live in Oregon (Pendleton)

Unfortunately guys I havent really noticed if my 3G drops to 1x during calls but perhaps I should pay more attention.

I guess I've noticed this when I randomly look at my screen and browse the internet on my phone.

Ive mainly seen this at night time and on Saturday night between 10pm and 10:30pm it was 1X, that is until I rebooted phone (or maybe removed battery); plugged it back in and it was fine.

I've always turned off WIFI if I'm not using device so thats out.  I do have a Taskpanel application but probably not the same as the rest.

I called Verizon on Sunday to ask if my local Verizon area was doing some sort of maintenance during that timeframe but they couldnt help me.

I waited last night between 9:59 and 10:04 and it didnt switch at all.  It did however switch at 9pm, hmm oh wow never thought about the time change, perhaps it was still the same time.

Anyways if I leave my phone alone it might last a whole hour I'm not sure.  But I'm for it again tonight to see if around 10pm PST if it goes from 3G to 1X and the duration as well

Myself I'm trying to pinpoint a pattern but like the rest of you, it may be hard; also not to mention it happens during the day for you guys and I havent noticed it happen to me during the day so I dont know.

But I just wanted to chime in and say that I too am noticing this but again not for phone calls (for me, because I'm all about texting and surfing) but mainly because when I look at my device.

0 Likes
ToeKnee_tm

So, now it's time for my experience with this particular issue. I can almost assure everyone having this issue that it is either an app, the OS, or the Verizon provisioning. I have an HTC Rezound that I've had this issue with from almost day one. The Rezound actually has a dual radio chip that allows me to connect to the internet even while on a a phone call, even in 3G areas. This handset and very few others on the Verizon network have this feature for 3G areas. Of course, 4G will always have call/internet ability. So, that being said, unless you do have a dual radio handset, you shouldn't have ANY internet connectivity over the mobile (Cellular) network.

What we CAN establish is this: The problem persists across multiple hardware platforms, and across multiple iterations of the android OS. I have seen people having this issue with both 2.2 and 2.3 (I'm running 2.3.4). I'm going to put my HTC into Safe Mode for a couple days and see what happens. I do see some common apps here that I use, so I will begin a process of elimination. I'm also going to check other service providers (ie AT&T and T-Mobile...as well as a couple smaller CDMA carriers). I'll hit this forum back after I figure it out. If HTC would just roll 4.0 to my handset, this may all end. Thanks for all the good info here guys. Since Verizon doesn't want to help with this (they suck at customer service), I guess it's up to us to solve this. It is VERY possible an app is interfering, but I don't use ATK and am having the problem. I'm thinking any app that can actually ALTER the phone state....like Beautiful Widgets...I'll post up my app list (LONG) after I run the safe mode....

0 Likes
ToeKnee_tm

I've just went out and verified that this issue is across three different carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) and is pretty specific to Android handsets....so, I'm betting on an app or an OS issue. I'll keep trying...LOL

0 Likes
ToeKnee_tm

OK, I've narrowed down which of MY apps I think caused the problem. Unfortunately, I don't see it listed as an app that any of you have...unless you forgot to list it. My issues appear to have been caused by Beautiful Widgets. I will give further updates over the next couple of days while I see if this fixes the issue....I also have seen that Advanced Task Killer can effect Mobile Internet and WiFi connectivity by killing system tasks. Hope this helps some.

0 Likes
BosRedSox13

The issue is affecting Satellites (Cable, Internet, Cell Services, etc.) because of solar flares.  The companies are trying to find ways to give us the service we pay for, yet Mother Nature has other plans.

0 Likes