Are Promo Codes a Fraud
GMLEW54

Why won't the $100 promo code (SAVE100) work on an upgrade, when the only note is "New device payment activation req'd"?  Why do I keep seeing $200 off android phones promo codes ("Android200" on 30 September, "200offandroid" on 1 October, and "Android200off" on 2 October) and they always return the comment "Invalid Promo Code"?  Calls to Verizon Customer Care result in "We can't find any information about that promo code."  Discussions on chat also result in no knowledge of such a code.  Again the only note on the advertisement was "New device payment activation req'd."  I have spent six days trying to upgrade two phones and get a discount by doing it online with no luck at all.  It appears that if I get them on two new lines, then swap the phone numbers, and cancel the two old lines; I can save $100 each, but will have to pay $20 each for the new lines.  Net savings of $160.  Now what was the advantage of doing business with VZW online?  The frustration and aggravation of all the phone calls, chats, and trying different methods of purchase has not been worth it.  Am I the only one having these problems?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Are Promo Codes a Fraud
Sheppard

Having the same problem. I just gave up

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The terms of the offer - New device payment req'd - may only work if your current lines are eligible to upgrade.  You may also have to be on the newest plan(s) for the promo codes to work. 

What plan are you on now?  Are your current devices on contract, or currently on a device payment plan?

0 Likes
GMLEW54

Hi SuzyQ.

I talked for hours on the phone to VZW representatives and spent a lot of time with the chat people and they could not tell me the requirements because they could find no information on these offers.  Both my phones were eligible for upgrade.  I tried every combination of upgrading or new line; cheap phone or expensive phone; Samsung or another brand; and I always got the same message  "Invalid Promo Code"!  Oh, I also tried both before and after I upgraded to a new plan.  I even had my military discount removed to see if that was making me ineligible.  None of the combinations I tried worked.  If you have contacts in VZW ask them to find out what the requirements were.  I bet they can not tell you because it never really existed.  I printed the screens, but do not know if it's worth the time to send them to the CA Attorney General for investigation.

I have two new phones and I am happy with them and VZW, but it would have been nice to get the discounts that got be started looking at new phones. 

Gale

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where did you see these promo codes?  Advertising - but where?  Onine?  Mailer?  Promos can be regional, or location specific, and some are very limited time only.  And often the requirements are very specific, you have to meet a rigid set of criteria to qualify.  If a promo is on Verizon's website or advertised in a corporate store, it's likely a legit promo.

0 Likes