Backup Assistant help
fibercoug
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am getting Sync service failed. Failed to read data from Android Contacts Provider. What does this mean and how can I correct it? There are no options available for this app. The only one available is to change pin. The app tries to sync up every night and drains the battery. How do I get it to stop? I have downloaded the Backup Assistant Plus app that seems to be working okay.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Backup Assistant help
Wildman
Legend

Check out my post at https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/663943 that covers this issue...

1. Log into Verizon Backup Assistant
2. Click on Export to CSV
3. Save File as (or Rename to) Contacts (it should already be converted to CSV so including .csv is redundant)
4. Log into Gmail/Google Voice
5. Click on Contacts
6. Click on Import
7. Browse for the Contacts (.csv) file
8. Click Import

9. Disable BA by going to Settings / Applications . Manage Applications / All Tab / Sync Service / Clear All

All contacts on youir device should sync to Google if they are not in the BA backup...   Now I do say should because no software is perfect

0 Likes
fibercoug2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a novice to this and am not sure how the backup assistant works. If I disable the sync service will that also disable my BA plus application? I use that to back up all my pictures, videos, etc and want it to continue to back up my contacts. I am paying for storage space on Verizon's cloud. It sounds like you want me to abandon BA entirely and that is not what I want to do. I am fibercoug.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

If you are using BA Plus then this would not be your permanent solution because you can not use the plus option with BA Disabled but you should be able to go to Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tab / Sync Service / Clear All and disable the application and then open Backup Assistance and input your login to get the application functioning again..

Disabling the app should not effect the online part of the app, app information stored online will remained untouched, if you clear the data it will remove your logon information for the app and then when you log back in this usually resolve some login issues..

If you have any more question feel free to ask and I will help where I can or maybe other uses may know of another solution..  At this moment clearing the data seems like the easies solution.

0 Likes
fibercoug2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Wildman for your response. I had tried the Clear All method to disable the application but when I open up BA I do not get a log in screen. It just tries to sync and fails. I am pretty sure that the log in information is wrong but I can't get to a log in screen to make changes. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Since Backup plus could be a seperate app cache try clearing data at Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tabs / Backup Plus / Clear data instead if it is available.

fibercoug2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Before I do that I want to know if my log in information will be the same as my online account? I don't want to get locked out of my BA plus account as everything except contacts is getting backed up successfully.

0 Likes
fibercoug2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got it working!!! I had to go into manage applications/sync service and clear that data then went into BA and cleared that data. That finally allowed me to get to a log on screen in BA where I was able to put in my pin number. Thank you Wildman for all your help. It just shouldn't be this hard. Thanks again!!

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Glad to hear you got it.. Glad I could help

0 Likes