Basic voicemail indicator not functioning
jamespizza
Enthusiast - Level 2

One day my voicemail indicators stopped working.  The next thing I know I keep getting prompted to upgrade to Visual Voicemail.  When I declined (I really do not want it)  All voicemail indicators disappeared.  I noticed a I missed a couple of calls and went in and manually *86 to get in and it says I have three voicemails I never was notified about.  Now, occasionally the "tape" indicator of a voicemail will show up in my indicator bar but when I click on the notification it asks if I want visual voicemail, if I say no, it just goes away and Does not take me to my voicemail!?

What the heck happened and how do I get it back to the way it has worked for the last seven years?  I just want my basic voicemail back!!!!

HELP!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Basic voicemail indicator not functioning
jamespizza
Enthusiast - Level 2

All in the link.  I believe I have found the solution!!!!

I worked through the chat function and the issue is somehow visual voicemail was activated on my phone.  I believe Verizon pushed this out to me as I never activated it.  I received a voicemail saying my free test was expiring, a test I never signed up for.  Anyway the chat agent said he had to go in and purge the visual voicemail from my phone setup and reactivate basic voicemail.  I had to power down and restart.  This has fixed the issue. 

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get your indicator working, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please follow the steps in question 1, located in the troubleshooting section:http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/voice-mail-faqs/

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jamespizza
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried your troubleshooting guide but the directions how to turn notifications on does not work.   It says to go into your voicem, hit 4 for admin options and press 1 to turn notifications on.   There is no prompt for pressing 1 for notifications under the admin options.   I really do not understand what happened and why this is not working. 

PLease help

thanks

james

SavoirFaire
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are having the same issue with our new Maxx 2 phone.

Mo_Razzy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Voice mail indicators disappeared on Samsung Note 3 several months ago. Agree: no option 1 exists to turn indicator on/off in Virginia. What gives? Verizon has both my cell phones & also provides FIOS... you have line workers are out on strike at the same time our voice mail indicators have failed to work.  If this is too difficult for Verizon to resolve quickly, I suspect your competitors will lend a VERY sympathetic ear!  In exchange for going paperless & saving VZW monthly heaps of cash, your quality control has suffered and has begun to irritate me.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's work together and find out more, SaviorFaire! Can you describe what is happening a bit more? If you dial *86, are you able to retrieve your voicemails then?

MichelleH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying the troubleshooting guide, Jamespizza. Let’s continue to work on getting your notification with your voicemail turned on. Where you able use step#1 per the link as requested to setup your voicemail first before going into your current voicemail box? We need to make sure you are setup on basic voicemail first and that the visual voicemail set up is not interfering. Please let us know that this was completed and some further details so we can ensure this issue get resolved. 

EdwinW_VZW

0 Likes
lblocklin
Enthusiast - Level 1

This same issue just happened to both my husband and myself.  I believe it started a few weeks ago. If you follow the help on their site, there is no option 1 to turn on indicators.  We both have Samsung galaxy s5 phones.  Verizon please provide another way to get our notifications turned back on!!!

0 Likes
Mo_Razzy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

For an amazingly long time, I firmly believed Verizon  to have been the very best in the business.  Nothing stays the same forever. Little by little my previously strong belief has been eroded...not by glaringly huge issues, but by the increasing occurrence of smallish, kind of annoying issues.  This voice mail indicator disappearance combined with the dead end instruction to "press 1" on list that (as odd as it seems) neither BEGINS with 1 nor includes a 1!!

Also, Verizon has allowed their line employees to remain on strike for more than a month.

Rest on your laurels. Go ahead, Verizon. I used to enjoy unlimited data. Now, it's 15 bucks for any fraction of a gig in excess of this [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] data plan you provided in its place. You voluntold me to switch from paper to e-statements... Green, yes. But I KNOW how much printing & mailing cost you! You are saving monster bucks!

Greed & mismanagement: Your 2016 Presidential slate, brought to you by Verizon.

As if life didn't need any more pain in the butt complications...

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It can be frustrating without getting a voice mail indication on both you and your husband’s device, Let get this issue fixed so those notifications start to come through on both phones. Have you tried doing a soft reset on each device? Here’s the steps to use http://tiny.cc/oebrby and let me know if that helps and if not we will continue looking for a solution until the issue is resolved.

EdwinW_VZW

0 Likes