Battery drain issue with update 5.1.1 in deep sleep
Zelda1216

I have an android galaxy s5. Ever since the newest update, I believe is 5.1.1, my battery drains during deep sleep. When I don't touch my phone at all for hours it will drain 30-40%. Android os and system use 20-30% power. I've turned everything off (wifi, data, sync, locations) and even set power saving on and it still happens. I did a system wipe partition cache and nothing. How do I fix this issue? Besides leaving it on a charger while not in use to manage. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery drain issue with update 5.1.1 in deep sleep
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Zelda1216,

We definitely want to figure this out and appreciate all that you have done so far. If you are aware that this occurred immediately after the update then we can try to reset the device to factory defaults to see if that will help resolve any issues. Prior to doing so, you can back up your device with Verizon Cloud. See how here http://vz.to/1p1RUE1. Once ready you can see how to reset the device here http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-99541/.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all the troubleshooting you have done so far Zelda1216. I know it is important to have a long lasting battery. Are all your applications updated? Is your Wi-Fi, GPS or Bluetooth turned on?

AmberF_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Zelda1216

I have wifi and power saving location on all the time. That is it. I turned them off when I sleep and will not be touching my phone for hours and thats when the battery drains and it made no difference. I've restarted the phone since the wipe partition cache and now the battery is going much quicker. Battery stats say android os, system, kernal use the most power.

0 Likes
Zelda1216

Forgot to mention all apps are updated.

0 Likes
L_J_M

I've experienced the same battery drain issue. Before the last I could use my phone all day and it barely drops below 50%. After update, it take almost 8 hours on fast charger to get back to 100%. There's some drain that's going on. I'm on wifi all day mostly, no gps, location & on power save. Last update did something.

0 Likes
Zelda1216

I entered the phone into safe mode and the battery dropped a percentage every 30 seconds then the phone started getting warm. It now drains while using a percentage every 5 mins. How can I tell if an app is doing this? It started a week after I updated to 5.1.1. Before I had 24 hrs on my battery.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Zelda1216,

We definitely want to figure this out and appreciate all that you have done so far. If you are aware that this occurred immediately after the update then we can try to reset the device to factory defaults to see if that will help resolve any issues. Prior to doing so, you can back up your device with Verizon Cloud. See how here http://vz.to/1p1RUE1. Once ready you can see how to reset the device here http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-99541/.

AdamG_VZW

0 Likes