Blocking Shortcode - 6245
DAR7185

I've gotten more than 100 messages from a shortcode - 6245 (MAIL) since the beginning of May. I've contacted customer service on 3-4 different occasions, and have tried everything they suggested. I've tried the "block messages from email" (doesn't work), I've added the higher tier/$4 monthly charge to keep from getting spam messages (doesn't work), and I've tried sending "STOP", "UNSUBSCRIBE", etc. (doesn't work), and I've sent them to 7726 (SPAM) (doesn't work).

I've told the customer service contacts that on my usage, the messages are all coming via 6245, so I can't simply block the number because blocking requires a 10 digit number.

These messages are not only coming from spam users, but, it looks like it has several users in a mail list, so I keep getting their "stop", "remove", "take me off this list", and several other responses that I can't put here because of their NSFW nature.

What I need is someone to tell me how to block shortcodes, specifically 6245 so I can stop getting this spam.

0 Likes
Re: Blocking Shortcode - 6245
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're definitely not fans of those short code messages either. I completed some research and I found that the 6245 number is based on Mobile IM, sending messages via email. Please remove and readd all email accounts on your device. 

Remove:

1. Go to the Email app.

2. Select Menu key.

3. Select one of the Email accounts.

4. Select Remove Account and Confirm with OK.

5. Repeat for all Email accounts.

Set up email accounts:

1. Select Add Account.

2. Select Others.

3. Enter e-mail address and password.

4. Repeat for all e-mail accounts.

Please complete those steps, and keep us posted on your results, thanks very much. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Please go to the website https://text.vzw.com and set it up to block numbers or text message from the web. This should eliminate the spam.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Dar7185, we wanted to check in to see if you've had an opportunity to try the steps we provided or have any other concerns. Melissa_VZW.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

Please go to the website https://text.vzw.com and set it up to block numbers or text message from the web. This should eliminate the spam.

The website above does not allow setting up the blocking of numbers or text messages from the web, only links to the FAQ's of how to do it.  You have to go to the My Verizon web site, logging in as an account manager or account owner to set up the blocking.  Look at:

https://www.verizon.com/support/block-unblock-services-faqs/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D6296798962960857840165...

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
emadgein

This doesn't work. I had to find the link because the exact instructions weren't provided. 

Imagine my surprise. I did unregister my tablet from the horrible VZ Message app. 

When I went to the section used for blocking, it was greyed out. The message at the bottom read. "Service Only available for post paid customers." I am a post paid customer. 

Btw, I tried to block email/web based messages prior to unregistering my tablet. I stumbled on the link to my tablet.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your patience throughout this, emadgein. We know how frustrating these messages can be. Verizon has systems that automatically monitor and block suspected Spam text messages. Reporting them to 7726 is the next best step so we can investigate these messages to see why the sender is bypassing our monitoring system. If you continue to receive these messages we recommend that you look into the options to change your number at no cost. You can review more information on this process using this link: http://spr.ly/6608yKfEE

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes