Blocking spam e-mail text messages
dtmuller
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is a fatal flaw in the way Verizon blocks text messages that come from e-mail addresses and it explains why "block all messages from e-mail" doesn't work. I've tried to bring this to the attention of your tech support. It's very simple, but I can't get through to anyone who will listen.

Here's the problem: You can e-mail a message to a Verizon phone in two ways: using <phone number> @ vtext.com will send it as a regular text message (SMS). <phone number> @ vzwpix.com will send it as a multimedia text message (MMS). When you go into My Verizon and check the box to block e-mailed text messages, it blocks only those going to the vtext.com address. The spammers can still send them to the vzwpix.com address. That's why "blocking e-mail" appears to work for some people but not for others--it depends on which address your spammer is using.

This would be incredibly simple to fix if only someone at Verizon would listen. I've tried four times:

• The first person asked me to hold and never came back.
  • The second asked me to hold and then closed the chat.
  • The third said he would transfer my call to second-tier support, then sent me to a recording that said that Verizon didn't have service in my area. (Your billing department doesn't think so.)
  • The fourth time I was promised a call-back within 6 minutes. It never happened.

Is there anyone willing to listen?

Re: Blocking spam e-mail text messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dtmuller, withthe number of spammers working hard each and every day to make lives challenging I know that we are all looking for ways to put an end to this. While I cannot say that I write any software, I am happy to take any ideas that you may have and send then up to management for investigation. -Loren

0 Likes
dtmuller
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for responding. My suggestion: all they have to do is block messages going to <number> @ vzwpix.com in the same way that they now block those going to <number> @ vtext.com.

Very simple.

0 Likes
dtmuller
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's been nearly two months and this has not been acted on. Given that this is absurdly simple to fix--any programmer could handle this in a matter of minutes--it's clear that Verizon is just ignoring the issue.

Do I have to go through the FCC to get someone to move on this?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hello, hope you and your family are doing well.  Please bear with me a moment, while I review the thread to get caught up.  I will be with you shortly, I thank you in advance.

*Lisa

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your patience, I am here and want to discuss your ideas, can you send us a Private Message, so we can discuss? 

*Lisa

0 Likes
dtmuller
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can do that if you'll tell me how to send you a private message.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good question, you can send us a Private Note here or you can reach out to us at Twitter or Facebook as well. We want to ensure we are getting you the assistance you need. 

*Gen

0 Likes
dtmuller
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, I sent the private message, as requested. That was a week ago and there is no response. This is at least the eighth attempt I've made to get someone to listen to what I have to say, but you consistently refuse to respond.

Since you:

1. Promise to stop texts from e-mail, but then don't do it, and
  2. Could easily, dramatically and effectively reduce the quantity of spam texts customers are receiving, but won't do it, and
  3. Could significantly reduce attempted fraud against your customers, but won't do that either.

Tell me, then, why shouldn't I file a complaint with the FCC?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dtmuller, thank you for your feedback. Your message was passed along however when giving feedback,  you normally don't receive a callback and we can't gaurantee that the resolution will be used however we do appreciate it and want to advise that we did receive it. 

-Nicci

0 Likes