Brand new HTC 10 has malware. How do I get rid of it?
rhobherto
Enthusiast - Level 1

New Verizon customer, brand new phone, malware included.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

HTC 10 (HTC6545LVW), Android 6.0.1, Chrome browser 53.0.2785.124 with pop-ups blocked.

How do I get this crap off my phone?

[Removed]

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Brand new HTC 10 has malware. How do I get rid of it?
rhobherto
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks everyone for the comments.

The darned thing showed up repeatedly, beginning the first day, first hour I cranked up the phone. The start up process added some Verizon bloatware (let's be honest) and repopulated some selected, familiar apps from my previous HTC phone. No new "out of bounds" browsing or new, unfamiliar apps that I added.

I am able dodge or "back out" of the thing without clicking any of its links or answering any questions.

I did "disable" a couple of apps I'm unfamiliar with (Android Pay, Slacker Radio, and TalkBack).

I left my new phone turned off and idle more than I normally would have just to avoid it.

Anyway, up and running today and NO SIGN OF IT. Maybe it was site-specific or in the network. Who knows? Maybe the aggravation is past.

Again, thank you.

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

More likely you accidentally touched an ad. Can't you back out of it?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you can't back out of it, close the tab.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's ensure your device is working correctly. Close out of all of your active browsers to get ride of that "HTC" page. Please do not answer any of the "survey" questions.

TylerK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could be a drive-by too. Ad networks haven't cleaned up their act yet.

0 Likes
rhobherto
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks everyone for the comments.

The darned thing showed up repeatedly, beginning the first day, first hour I cranked up the phone. The start up process added some Verizon bloatware (let's be honest) and repopulated some selected, familiar apps from my previous HTC phone. No new "out of bounds" browsing or new, unfamiliar apps that I added.

I am able dodge or "back out" of the thing without clicking any of its links or answering any questions.

I did "disable" a couple of apps I'm unfamiliar with (Android Pay, Slacker Radio, and TalkBack).

I left my new phone turned off and idle more than I normally would have just to avoid it.

Anyway, up and running today and NO SIGN OF IT. Maybe it was site-specific or in the network. Who knows? Maybe the aggravation is past.

Again, thank you.

Robert

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Android Pay is an NFC payment application for contactless purchases.

Slacker Radio is music streaming application.

Talkback allows the phone to speak to you when using the Google Now commands or the Accessibility settings for visually impaired individuals.

I use both Android Pay and Talkback on my devices. I also have Slacker disabled since I don't use it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes