Can I roll back a system update?
Nan3950
Enthusiast - Level 1

After putting it off for so long and not being able to get the update notice off my screen, I gave in and updated the software on my LGg2 to the Android 5.0.2. I hate it.  Features are nice, but it drains my battery like crazy.  My battery used to last me all day long without having to use the battery saver. Now, even with the battery saver, it still doesn't last.  I travel every week long distances. I can't have a phone whose battery doesn't last. Is there a way to get rid of the update?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SYSTEM update issues
Snn5
Legend

If battery is your only issue you might try using the phone till it dies, plug into a charger and let it recharge to 100% and then take off charger and power on.  Might take 2-3 cycles of this to level out battery readings.  If you have various other issues, you might try a factory reset.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

If battery is your only issue you might try using the phone till it dies, plug into a charger and let it recharge to 100% and then take off charger and power on.  Might take 2-3 cycles of this to level out battery readings.  If you have various other issues, you might try a factory reset.

Snn5
Legend

However, there is no way to revert to 4.4.2 from 5.0.2.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes a few charge cycles and things should get better. Otherwise, backup critical / personal content and perform a FDR.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Technically, I think this is an imprecise statement. There's no warranty-centric way to do it, but I believe the OP may be outside the warranty period, and if they Google it, they'll find it.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes, you are correct, but just the mention of that process, to include searching, would produce results that would link to other sites with that information that would not be allowed by proxy on this forum.  While you are correct that my statement is partially correct, to be totally correct we would be violating the following lines from the Vzw TOS.

• Posts that describe how to violate any Verizon Wireless or Verizon Wireless policy or term or condition are considered unacceptable will have the offensive language deleted.
  • Posts that discuss hacking and/or rooting a wireless device from any carrier will be removed.
  • Posting a link directing users to any information or content that, if posted on the Verizon Wireless Community, would constitute a violation of the Terms or of any State or Federal law;
stef7
Master - Level 2

Snn5, you wrote:

>>

While you are correct that my statement is partially correct, to be totally correct we would be violating the following lines from the Vzw TOS.

>>

I didn't post that your post was partially correct, instead I labeled it imprecise. I was being generous by doing so. If I wrote / write that your post is factually wrong, Smiley Happy STILL, we have not violated the TOS, and that would be totally correct (and correct here has been chosen for it's double meaning).

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Thanks for being so generously confusing with your word play.

ODIN allows a user to modify the device's operating system and files.  If LG Flash Tools is deemed a violation of warranty, so shall ODIN be for use on Samsung devices outside the realm of authorized repair persons. Both are in effect, rooting.

Anytime unauthorized system repairs, to include disassembly of hardware or modification of software are discussed, TOS applies.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Had to log into a computer to leave this reply... I'd been having problems under Lollipop with Swype. Now, I'm having problems with the Google Keyboard I loaded to replace it. Nice.

All is not well in CandyLand's Lollipop village.

Yeah, I was using a little wordplay to be fun and obtuse, but I didn't mean to at your expense. I agreed with your post.

Asserting super-user privs to modify the phone is one issue. However, if a person is merely putting a stock / approved for OTA software load back on their device, and doing so to "fix" a device's behavior (and I'm not sure one has to assert privs to do this)... I'm no lawyer, but hardly do I feel that violates nor should violate a warranty.

What is unfortunate IMHO is an OEM putting a trap like a KNOX flag that trips when a poor customer's device has been rendered greatly inoperative if they should attempt to revert to a previous, well-vetted, stable STOCK software configuration.

What I think should happen, is the corporate stores be given the tools and training to make this happen... there should be no customer "expense" to repair a device owned by a customer in good standing because of a software update.

Snn5
Legend

LG's also trip flags, but I agree that Verizon corporate stores should have some level of repair instead of sales only.  I also feel there should be clear and defined lines of terminology and definition that explains what customers can and cannot do to aide themselves when certain issues arise.