Can I switch my phone to my friends phone even though we are both under 2 year contracts?
johnnyr787
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the galaxy S4 my contract at Verizon does not expire until next year in July sometime. My friend has the galaxy S6 but recently decided to get himself the S6 plus. He told me I can have his S6 since he's getting the S6 Plus but I told him we can't do this because we are both under contracts with Verizon but he insists that's not the way it works and that I shouldn't have any trouble contacting Verizon to have them switch my phone number and account to his phone. So like how does this work? Can I switch phones like that? Both are under contract.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I switch my phone to my friends phone even though we are both under 2 year contracts?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you should be able to switch to your friend's phone without affecting your contract/plan.  Since the S4 uses a micro SIM and the S6 uses a nano SIM, you'll need a new SIM card; they're free at your local Corporate VzW store or by contacting Customer Service.

Re: Can I switch my phone to my friends phone even though we are both under 2 year contracts?
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes you'll be ok swapping devices with your friend, and would not have to make any pricing changes or receive any extra fees since you would be changing from a smartphone to another compatible smartphone. Good idea checking like you have to make sure you won't get any surprises. They would only charge you a fee to cancel a contract if you were to outright cancel the line, but you're totally ok swapping out your devices as you like.

johnnyr787
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was just wanting to double check because one day I was on ebay look at Verizon phones and I noticed a lot of listings for Verizon and other providers say something like "comes with 2 year contract." Or some people will put in their listing that their in the middle of a contract so the buyer assumes responsibility for the contract. I just figured I couldn't change phones but good to know I can without problems 🙂

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Ah gotcha that's true too, some people try and sell thier line of service contract to others to take over as a part of a purchase deal.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are always happy to lend a hand johnnyr787. That is quite a nice phone your friend is giving you. You can visit one of our friendly neighborhood Verizon Wireless stores http://www.verizonwireless.com/stores/?intcmp to pick up a new SIM card for that phone at no charge. They can have you up and running all in one quick visit.

BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes