Re: Can I use an Android phone without a data plan?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'd obviously need to carry two devices, but an option would be a basic phone and a wi-fi only Android tablet.

0 Likes
Trevisvan
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you think the forced data plan is unfair (like I do) file a complaint with the FCC.

Not applicable

It is not unfair.  If you want a smartphone without a data plan, go to a provider that offers that.  Verizon does not.  If I want a new Ford, I don't go to a Chevy dealer and file a complaint because they don't sell new Fords.

0 Likes
BrendanM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, but I don't go to a car insurance person with a new car with features that are better than an other one, and have them charge me for features I won't use.

The car analogy is bad. Don't use it.

The point is, I want to be able to use a smartphone I buy. I'm not buying it from Verizon, that's stupid. I'm buying it from the phone market, but unfortunately the service market is over-saturated by people who don't know how to shop for phones, so Verizon knows they can get away with charging extra for service that's barely used when everyone has wifi, what they lose from smart people who don't want to throw money away they more than make up for in sheep that don't know what they are doing.

The bottom line: why should a data package be required when the phone will /never/ use it, EVER? Because Verizon can get away with it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon is selling data plans.  That is their product.  They are not a phone company.  They don't make money selling phones.  They make some money on voice and text, I suppose, but they are in the business of selling data plans.  If you don't want or need a data plan, don't come to Verizon.  If you don't want a new Ford, don't go to a Ford dealership.

0 Likes
BrendanM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wrong. Verizon is a wireless service company. Just because they make a ridiculous amount selling one thing, doesn't mean that's their whole company. It's like going to a ford dealership, getting one car, and being forced to buy the one with redundant features you don't need, if you must insist on using poor car analogies.

They aren't getting any money from a data plan from me now. They're selling me wireless service but won't support a device that I bring to them for the same exact network and level of service unless I buy a service that's redundant and unnecessary. That's ridiculous.

Not applicable

You may think it's ridiculous, but that is their business model.  They don't cater to the low-end cell phone market and have a very limited offering for basic phones and pre-paid phones.  They obviously are going after the high-end market with smartphones and data plans.  They don't make money selling phones.  Their business is selling data plans.  Just because you don't like that, doesn't make it untrue or change anything.  If I wanted a smartphone without a data plan, I would go to a provider who provides that.

21stNow
Master - Level 1

You don't like analogies, here is the reality.  Verizon Wireless is a carrier that requires a data plan to use a smartphone.  There is a carrier that allows a customer to use a smartphone without a data plan.  If that is what you want, you should go to that carrier.  Verizon Wireless has the most customers at over 90 million.  They are not inclined, at this moment, to listen to the few customers that want something that they don't offer.  The one carrier that does allow smartphone use without a data plan is the one with the fewest customers out of the nationwide postpaid carriers.  That's not much incentive for Verizon Wireless to change.

The carriers have gone on record that they want to increase their data plan offerings.  One carrier has even entertained the idea of allowing smartphones to have data plans only, with no voice plans.  For now, this business environment is going against what you want.

Jim is right, go to a carrier that offers what you want.

B33
Legend

+ 1

0 Likes
mauqua
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found the lowest data plan to be reasonable 50.00 a month.What I don't like is the extra 40.00 per phone to use it????say what????Does'nt make much sense to me.....what is the 50 a month for?