Can only make and receive calls within 5 miles of my home.
B2325

My s3 will only make and receive calls within 5 miles of my home in Illinois. While traveling over the past weekend I was able to use the phone in Zanesville, OH. But nowhere inbetween. When dialing a number the phone will not connect and after 20 or 30 seconds I see the call ended message.  All incoming calls go directly to voicemail.

I have done a soft restart and cleared the data cache.

Samsung Galaxy S3

SCH-1535

Android version 4.4.2

Latest software upgrade was 7/4/2014

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can only make and receive calls within 5 miles of my home.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for that additional information B2325. Being able to use your phone at home is definitely important and we will continue to work on this for you. Have you tried resetting your phone after replacing the SIM card to see if that resolved the issue?

CandiceH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Are you sure you have signal in those areas?  Sounds to me like you are in a dead zone.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

depends where you live in relation to cell towers.

0 Likes
B2325

Signal is good in all areas, at home and on the road.  The phone has worked fine for the past 4 years.  The issue started earlier in the year on a trip to SC.

The phone has the same issues when in the safe mode.

I had a new SIM card installed.

Thanks

0 Likes
B2325

The phone will send and receive text messages in all areas and I can access the internet from wi-fi or 4g without any problems.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello B2325,

I'm sure it's frustrating to be unable to make calls at home, when it has worked in the past. Let's figure out what's causing this, so you can enjoy the full range of services, no matter where you go. Do you know anyone else with Verizon service who is also having trouble, or is this just on your device? What zip code are you having trouble in, so we can check coverage?

MichelleH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
B2325

I do not know of anyone else having this problem.  I have stopped by 3 different Verizon stores and no one had an answer.

The phone works fine is zip codes 60913, 60901, 60914, and 60915, also in 60418.  While traveling through Zanesville, OH a few weeks ago the phone also worked fine.  The phone does not work anywhere north of me.  I have not checked south.

I also have a prepaid tracphone which I believe is on the verizon network and the phone works fine anywhere I go.

Thanks,

0 Likes
B2325

Ok, I was mistaken about my prepaid phone.  It is Total Wireless not trac phone.  I believe the total wireless is the same as verizon.

Thanks,

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for that additional information B2325. Being able to use your phone at home is definitely important and we will continue to work on this for you. Have you tried resetting your phone after replacing the SIM card to see if that resolved the issue?

CandiceH_VZW

0 Likes
B2325

Do you mean factory data reset, which resets all settings and deletes all data on device or reset setting? Reset settings is listed beneath factory data reset under backup and reset.

Thanks.

0 Likes