Can't add APN after latest firmware upgrade for HTC One M8
rudiepoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Verizon device support. After the latest 4.4.3 firmware update there is no longer an option to add an APN! I travel overseas quite a bit and use pre-paid sim cards from various countries. Now it seems that vzw has coded the apn apk's to use an auto detect/ auto load function when a sim is installed. most pre-paid sim cards don't feed back this information when detecting the networks. So manually adding the APN is the only way to connect with the data plan. Voice is no issue. I verified this on my friends phone who hasn't taken the OTA yet and the option is present. Can we get this issue fixed! this is frustratingVerizon APN Setting Issue.jpg now!!!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Can't add APN after latest firmware upgrade for HTC One M8
Tidbits
Legend

Seems you are rooted...

You can revert back or change it yourself.

Yes it's obvious you are rooted as we can see the Android L soft buttons.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Are you sure you didn't use an exposed module and accidently locked it out yourself?

0 Likes
mikeglen

I have same problem with my HTC one M8 device just bought from Swappa.com

Run under android version 4.4.3, it has no option to add new APN

I used H2O /ATT prepaid sim card: voice/text is ok but no mms/internet.

When using tmobile sim card then everything ok including mms/internet.

Why?

Screenshot_2014-10-09-11-26-06.png

0 Likes
rudiepoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually used my friends device for the screen shot. figured someone would mention that. lol. My device is not rooted and missing the feature as well. as you can see from another customers post below, their missing the feature as well. I don't think xposed would have anything to do with that function. I actually rooted my friends device for him and all stockish roms we have tried at 4.4.3 are missing this feature. We even used the stock RUU and it's missing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You have to bring it up with HTC. Due to popular belief carriers actually don't touch code. I can say I can change the APN, but I can't tell you which software version I am on(It's protected).

0 Likes
rudiepoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

you can verify the settings. they are not protected. Go to Settings>About>software information. It shows android version (4.4.X), Software Number (1.56.605.20). that is how you can tell. just an fyi. My unrooted phone shows

4.4.3 and 2.21.605.2

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No it says protected... Trust me... I can't say more than that.

0 Likes
rudiepoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Glad to see I am not the only one having this issue. I travel overseas quite a bit and have been using the same pre-paid sim cards for the last two years on two different devices. My old HTC one M7 and now the M8. I got my M8 back in march and didn't have any issues with using pre-paid sims globally. Now I took the OTA, the 'New APN' is missing.

0 Likes
KidShare

I have the same problem while traveling outside of country.

I had been on the phone many times with both Verizon and HTC techs without any solution the last few days, and they kept disconnecting my calls and never called back.
One of the techs was so arrogant to say that there is no problem and it's me and not a problem with the phone; and that he could add the apn without problem.  I kept asking him to verify his firmware version vs. mine, but he just ignored my request.

Unfortunatley that with 4.4.4, I can't even pay to root my device since there is nothing out there yet to deal with this latest version of firmware.... I am pretty much screwed at this moment without a functional phone with data while traveling.  I can't believe that they claimed to have an unlocked global phone, when it doesn't actually work properly since the option to add APN is removed to allow you to access mobile data from SIM of a foreing carrier.  So sad, I should have stayed with ATT instead Smiley Sad

0 Likes