Can't connect my phone to PC running Windows 10
kfreytag57

I have recently updated my Pc to Windows 10 and now i can no longer connect my phone with the USB cable. I do not get the MTP/PTP option. The phone recognizes that a USB cable is plugged in and it charges through the PC but it will not connect through the storage media.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't connect my phone to PC running Windows 10
waikalulu
Enthusiast - Level 1

Got the answer . . . hope it works for you.

I finally made use of my Microsoft Assure account and called them. Try another USB cord, preferably the original one that came with your phone. Not all USB cords can handle data.

Background:

I have Lumia 735 upgraded to Win 10 in October 2016.

I have new Win 10 laptop purchased early December 2016.

Had used generic cable to power up phone and sync pictures manually in past. Had never tried syncing pics to Win 10 laptop which I got in early December till now; have been just powering up phone with laptop.

All drivers in Control Panel were fine.

Had Phone Companion already installed on Laptop. Did new Companion install on phone and it did not help.

Using USB cord that came with Lumia 735 phone worked for my Windows and hubby's Android phone.

The answer is so easy I felt stupid.

Try another USB cable. I used the cable that came with my Lumia 735 and it worked great!!! The cord also worked on hubby's Android phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you install any drivers for the phone before or after the Windows 10 upgrade? If you have, I would uninstall them from the Programs and Features section of Settings. Windows 10 has a built-in driver that works with pretty much any device in MTP mode.

Also, does the Windows Phone Companion app launch when plugging in your device?

If you're using a USB 3.0 port (Often labeled SS, and is a blue colored port, or showing a lightning icon), are the drivers installed? Try a USB 2.0 port (black or white colored one) to test this.

0 Likes
kfreytag57

I have uninstalled everything i could find relating to Samsung Drivers and still nothing, The phone does NOT even go into a MTP/PTP mode nor do i get the USB connection icon in the notification panel since i upgraded to 10. Nothing launches when i plug the phone into any USB port on the PC, the only thing that happens is that the phone charges.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay. Let's see if Windows even picks up on the USB device as something. Connect your phone, then right click / long tap on the Start Button, and select Device Manager. Look for the section labeled "Universal Serial Bus Controllers." Check to see if there are any devices here with White circles (down arrows) or Yellow icons (exclamation marks). Also, check for an "Other Devices" section labeling Unknown Devices. Do you see any of these signs?

0 Likes
kfreytag57

I do not have any of the issues you have asked me about. I even made sure that all of my drivers were up to date and restarted my pc ans still nothing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VZW is here to help get you connected! Have you checked the compatibility of the new software with your device's software? What material are you trying to obtain from your device?
NicholeK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kfreytag57

How exactly do i check the compatibility? I am trying to transfer pictures and other material from my phone to my PC and i do not want to have to remove my SD card every time i want to do it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

OK go to about phone

Tap the build number 10 times. You'll get a warning about developer mode.

Press back and then go into developer options, and turn debugging mode on.

Plug in your device and it will load drivers and should work after that.

0 Likes
kfreytag57

i already have debugging mode turned on...nothing

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

USB Debugging should be disabled for MTP mode if it's already enabled.

0 Likes