Carrier IQ is NOT your friend!!
amidude

None of your passwords are secure using an Android phone. Here is the proof. Verizon and anyone else offering the Android OS needs to allow us to opt in or out of this service. I, for one, do NOT want them storing every single key press on my phone. There is no reason for it. Watch this video and cringe at the flagrant disregard for our privacy.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/secret-software-logging-video

Verizon needs to step up and eliminate this issue.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Carrier IQ is NOT your friend!!
bdclary

Has anyone been able to confirm which devices have Carrier IQ installed?

0 Likes
devilman96

I would say were all pretty screwed with this, thus far I have seen Verizon officially deny that they are using it on any of their phones, however several carrier domains have been unearthed such as vzw-collector.demo.carrieriq.com and hupload-vzw99.carrieriq.com. I would say its a matter of sticking to the usual plan of total denial until getting nailed read handed and hope that the majority of the damaged has already been adsorbed by someone else. Just as we saw happen a few months back with Apple getting busted... Two weeks later no one even noticed everyone else admitting to doing it. 

Once again here we are... 1984 has repeatedly made Orson Wells look like a futuristic genius. 

It will not take long for someone to root out what, when and where with VW phones... Guys like Trevor Eckhart find these things almost out of boredom and I am thankful that they do. The sad part is how many more CIQ's are there out there? How many other apps will just follow behind what they have been doing? 

Personal information collection is HUGE business... Don't depend on our government to stop it, protect from it or even curb it. They LOVE it, encourage it and reap the benefits of it daily... for your won protection of course! :smileyhappy: 

Every privacy, wire tapping, etc law that was just violated will be ignored... Nothing to see here folks, move along, don't worry about it... 

0 Likes
devilman96

If you dont understand... this is worth watching! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T17XQI_AYNo#!

0 Likes
tyme

Verizon? Will you comment? I want to know if I have CIQ on my new RAZR and how to remove it if so.

0 Likes
rinklighter

I'm very interested in hearing their answer as well, especially since I found this software on my phone (Dinc2). I can't get a response on any of their twitter feeds.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

"newer android models" is what i've seen and i suspect it's on all of our phones if you got the phone during the past 6-12 months. it's also been found on blackberries.....AND......wait for it.....and infamous iphone hacker stated yesterday that it's on the iphone (however, is not enabled by default). but as someone already mentioned, nothing will be done about it....no big deal....they are merely illegally wiretaping your keystrokes.

0 Likes
incredibleuser9

Does anyone know if carrier iq is on the incredible?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

it's not on verizon phones at all (or at least that is what verizon is stating). i've tested my tbolt and it's clean. looks to be mostly on sprint and at&t androids. none of the nexus devices....and on iphones, but not enabled by default. 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/107427-carrier-iq-which-phones-are-infected-and-how-to-remove-i...

0 Likes
incredibleuser9

I get that Verizon is not installing it.  I'm wondering if HTC did?  Verizon says they are not using it that doesn't mean it is not on our phones. 

0 Likes